Installing OS 10.4 on a new HD

bmcomputer

Registered
I have a Macbook laptop, not under warranty, which recently had a complete hard drive failure. I have installed a new hard drive, but I can not seem to find the original restore CD's that come with the computer with the OS 10.4 on them. What can I do? Can I get the disks mailed to me, or better yet download the OS on-line? I do have the serial number for the computer. What do I have to do to get the disks?

You would have to go buy new ones. I would recommend getting them off ebay cheap (make sure you get the generic DVD and not one that is made for a certain computer).

Also try to get Mac OS X 10.5 instead of 10.4. why not get the newer version when you have to pay for it either way? Your MacBook will easily be able to handle 10.5.

Actually, I don't think that you should have to purchase a new set of OS install disks.

When you purchased your Macintosh, you also purchased a license to the Mac OS software and to a select group of applications to use with it. Just because you lost your original disks doesn't mean that the license that you paid for is invalid.

Call Apple Customer Relations at:
800-275-2273

And be prepared to give them proof that you are the owner of your computer.

If you have such proof, you have a right to a copy of the software that you have a license to. Apple would be within their rights to charge you a reasonable fee for the media that they send it to you on, and for handling and shipping.

Okay. I will call Apple and hopefully it will be easy to get new disks. If not, I will have to buy them. Thanks again.

I should tell you in advance, that unless you get Customer Relations, you probably won't get what you want. Other departments at Apple, like Tech Support, aren't empowered to help you with something like this.

Back