Installing OS 9 drivers when installing 10.3?

Phillips

Registered
This may seem like a dumb question but should you or shouldn't you install OS 9 drivers when installing OS 10.3?
What are the reasons for or against?
Thanks

They take up very little room, and if you have a machine capable of booting into OS 9, you need those drivers installed if you ever want to boot OS 9.

If you've got software that runs only in OS 9+ and that you still use, then installing OS 9 makes some sense. If not, then there's no good reason to have it on your hard drive.
When I went from Jaguar to Panther a few years ago, I had one favorite game that runs only in OS 9, but I couldn't justify installing it just for that one game. It would just be sitting there in the hard drive taking up space 99.9% of the time. So I've been without OS 9 since that time and haven't looked back.
While some people still use OS 9, it generally is considered somewhat of a dinosaur at this point.
I'm not aware of any software being written for OS 9 anymore.

I'm with bobw on this one. It is better to have an not need it than to need it and not have it. There is no reported downside to installing the MacOS 9 drivers on your Mac.
Mobius Rex said:
I'm not aware of any software being written for OS 9 anymore.
Read and be wise.

Back