Installing OSX from USB stick

peresz

Registered
I have a friends macbook that im trying to upgrade to Leopard. (not enough memory for Snow, Lion). Im trying to create a live USB to install the OS from. The problem is that the Disk Utility is missing from this pc, so I cant put the dmg image of Leopard on. I tried using Windows with TransMac Utility that formats the usb to the mac only standard and burns the image to it. But when I plug it in to mac its says that the usb is unrecognizable. Is there any other solution I can use to upgrade using USB stick?
thank you

Which exact version of Mac OS X do you have? Someone could send you Disk Utility, the same version that ships with your version of Mac OS X (10.5.x), if you copy it to /Applications/Utilities, and use it as an administrator user it should work without problems.

If anyone around here has Mac OS X 10.4.11, it would be neat if they could get you a copy of Disk Utility (send a PM for chat details etc, it's not a huge file to transfer).
I don't hitnk I've got 10.4.11 installed anywhere at the moment, but I'm sure someone else will.
Which Mac do you have? I.e. a PPC- or an Intel version of the software.

If anyone around here has Mac OS X 10.4.11, it would be neat if they could get you a copy of Disk Utility (send a PM for chat details etc, it's not a huge file to transfer).
I don't hitnk I've got 10.4.11 installed anywhere at the moment, but I'm sure someone else will.
Which Mac do you have? I.e. a PPC- or an Intel version of the software.

All you really need is the install disk - use pacifist to extract the Disk Util. App

Back