Installing OSX over the Beta

Marino

Registered
I have ordered my copy of OSX but I am a bit concerned with the installation procedure. Having a relative limited storage space, I have installed the OSX Beta in a single partition, basically my hard drive. I wonder if, during or before the installation, OSX will remove the Beta files, particularly those rogue ones that cannot be deleted manually. I am not contemplating to re-initialize my hard drive, at this stage.
I will appreciate your comments on this matter.

I think, like any other software installer it will go in and get rid off all files not needed, and then perform the installation of the OS.

IF you want to format your partition you can. I have reformated my OS X partition several times (when I installed X and linux, and went back to X) and left the other 2 partitions on my HD virtually untouched.

As always you shoudl excercise caution and always back up!
(you dont know how much trouble I have been in because I did not back up LOL)

Admiral

Yes, backing up all my HD (then initialize and create suitable partitions) would be a solution. The only back-up I can do is by writing 6 or 7 CD. What worry me is that while doing that I could face an immediate problem: First, will the invisible files be 'lost' in the process? I mean, registration numbers and so on that are loose in the system? In the other hand, if these files will be kept, I am going to face again the problem to have the Beta files I don't want and risk to overwrite part of the OSX 1.0...

Another way will be to create partitions using FWB disk tools V4.0, which I have but I haven't used before. The reason: I am reluctant to do so because: 1) I don't understant very well how to do it without to re-initialize first. I understand you can create anew partition with the free space available but the manual is not crystal-clear (e.g. what is the difference between 'unused' and 'unallocated' space), and I have just 1.2GB free. 2) FWB drivers have to be installed and I don't know if they can cause incompatibility with the new OSX enviroment

Hmmmm....

What I did was to make 4 CDs of backup.
I did this in 3 categories

1) System Folder & system stuff.
On once CD put your system folder so all your preferances, 3rd party copntrol panels, exntensions ansd so forth get saved. Then put all your apple stuff like disk utilities disk first aid, and in general apple applications on that CD.

2) Documets.
I have one documets folder and I just took it and backed it up

3) applications. Take them and back them up as well because afterwards you dont want to re-install them, or go through the hassle of configuring them.

When you make your CDs and if you format, then just put the CD with the system folder in first and copy your old system older onto the hard drive. So all your old stuff is there (no need to config), and then go ahead and do the same with your applications. So all is (almost) like before ;)

This does take a lot of time though.

Admiral

I don't know how many times I've backed up hard drives and forgot the invisible desktop folder.

This usually does not happen if you are copying an entire volume, but if you are just taking parts and burning them on CD then be extra careful.

TommyWillB

I was told today by some Apple technicians that each told me in turn DO NOT INSTALL OVER THE PUBLIC BETA OR ANY PAST BUILD.

Apple has reported mixed short term success, no long term success with installing over other builds.

Best bet is to backup data and blank the drive, then install.

Originally posted by Marino

Another way will be to create partitions using FWB disk tools V4.0, which I have but I haven't used before. The reason: I am reluctant to do so because: 1) I don't understant very well how to do it without to re-initialize first. I understand you can create anew partition with the free space available but the manual is not crystal-clear (e.g. what is the difference between 'unused' and 'unallocated' space), and I have just 1.2GB free. 2) FWB drivers have to be installed and I don't know if they can cause incompatibility with the new OSX enviroment

I have had problems installing MacOs X on my Powerbook G3 Firewire with the FWB disk drivers. I am not 100% sure whether it is due to those or has another reason, but this is what happens:

Tried to install MacOs X onto HFS+ partition which had been created by FWB. The install crashes before anything is written. Checking the partition table with pdisk in Linux(which I have also installed...) shows 2 new partitions, a MacOsX Booter and Loader. Trying to reinstall with those new partitions in place fails also. Trying to go back to the Apple drivers won't work unless you want to initialize the whole HD.
Finally I gave up and was able to install MacOs X onto a firewire partition without problems!

Andreas

Back