installing the bsd subsystem on existing osx install

chicodoggy

machead since 91
has anyone ever installed the bsd subsystem after mac osx has already been installed. is this possible and stable?

I installed macosx without it and now want to install it to move my macosx install and all files to an new hd.

any input is appreciated.

thanks!

You cannot install OSX without the BSD subsystem, as it is a core component for OSX, as is Darwin, without which OSX cannot run. Therefore you must have installed it on your current machine. So no need to install.

eh i don't think he's talking about that

i think he's trying to say if its possible to install darwin only!!

i could be wrong

The BSD subsystem is the foundation for Darwin to run on, so it's not possible to install either Darwin or OSX without it.

Um, the BSD subsystem was an *optional* install up to at least 10.1.5 if you were installing OS X from scratch. Not sure about Jaguar, but I'm pretty sure it would be the same.

As far as your question goes, I've never installed OS X without it so haven't had the need to try and install it separately afterwards.

Yes, the BSD subsystem is still an optional install (I think it still is in Jag too), as is Darwin. But if you want Darwin or Aqua to run, your only choice is to install BSD for them to run on.

Umm, actually, OS X and aqua work just fine without the BSD subsystem. I know, because I just installed a copy (10.2) without it yesterday. Just click the customize button in the install window, and uncheck the BSD subsystem. Install goes fine, system works fine, can't even tell the difference. Of course, i am not trying to use the developer tools on that install, nor am I trying to do much in the command line, which is what the BSD subsystem is needed for. Otherwise, the OS works just fine without it.
As for installing it only over an existing OS X install, It appears it can be done by doing the following (again tested in 10.2):

1) Insert the 10.2 install disk one
2) Navigate to Mac OS X Install (or upgrade, whatever) Disk/System/Installation/Packages/
3) Open and install BSD.pkg as you would any .pkg

I tried this just now on the aforementioned system that I installed without the BSD subsystem, and the install went off without a hitch. I don't know how I would test it to make sure it is installed (I suppose I could try installing the developer tools) but since there was no errors during install I don't see why it wouldn't have worked. Hope this helps!

thanks for your help macavenger. i will try that. i was amazed that so many others didnt think it was optional. i dont use development tools either and thought i would save some disc space by not installing the bsd. but now i have a problem in that i cant use carbon copy cloner to copy my osx install to my new hd.

it would be much easier than re-installing osx on my new hd and all of my apps.

thanks agian.

On further study, it would appear the course of action I listed above may not be a good idea. It would appear to leave the system in an unbootable state. Perhaps this is because I installed the BSD.pkg from 10.2, while the OS was version 10.2.2? I honestly don't know. But unless someone else has some better idea, reinstalling the OS with the BSD subsystem may be your best bet. Sorry.

Back