installing tiger from my new ibook to my older imac

harrison30003

Registered
I recently bought a new ibook G4. I have an old imac (G4 superdrive) and want to use the Tiger startup discs from the ibook to install Tiger on my imac. At the beginning of the installation I get an error that says can not install on this computer. Does anybody know what this is or how I can install tiger on my imac?

thanks,
Eric

'Does anybody know what this is', yes, you are trying to install 'Tiger' MacOS X 10.4 with discs specific to the iBook.

'... or how I can install tiger on my imac?', purchase a retail copy of Tiger.

I bought the ibook. I own the tiger cd's. Why can't I install tiger on my old imac. I'm not trying to share it with somebody. I own it, I should be able to use it how I see fit.

'I bought the iBook. I own the Tiger CD's.', understood; and, not implied otherwise.

'Why can't I install Tiger on my old iMac.', because, (once again) - you are trying to install 'Tiger' MacOS X 10.4 with discs specific to an iBook model, on a different model Mac.

In other words, the MacOS X installation CDs / DVD for a specific model Mac (most likely) will not install MacOS X on any model but for the Mac model the disc(s) were / was supplied with.

The 'retail' version MacOS X installation CDs / DVD are universal and thus can be installed on all Mac models, so long as those models conform to specific hardware specifications.

'I own it (Tiger), I should be able to use it how I see fit.', yes - and you can ... only on your iBook models.

Hmm, don't yell at the fellow

BTW look at the CD/DVD you will see it's for the ibook, like mine it's for the eMac, mums is for MacMini, it's labelled for each Mac specification.

I'm not sure what you would read on universal disc's, but you should get a booklet with licence agreements and details of what machines it will it install on. The licence is either for one machine or for an extra price get the family pack and you can install on several machines ;)

No one else has said this yet...so I will...

harrison30003 said:
I bought the ibook. I own the tiger cd's. Why can't I install tiger on my old imac. I'm not trying to share it with somebody. I own it, I should be able to use it how I see fit.
Not really. Technically, you purchased a license to use your copy of Tiger on one (1) machine, not two. If you wanted it on the other machine, the legal thing is to buy a new copy, or you could uninstall it from your new Mac, and then install it on the other machine. You may think that you should be able to use it however you like, but it doesn't make it legal.

By the way, I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with this license requirement, and I'm not trying to start a philosophical discussion about it. I'm just stating the correct legal use of the software. What others do is up to them, and they probably will never be caught, especially if they are not a corporation sharing one license across many machines. And, believe me, I'm not passing judgement on anyone who would use one license on multiple machines. ;)

By the way, it's not that you are trying to install Tiger on a second machine that is the problem here. As others have said, it's that you got the install DVD with a specific model. Try the retail version and you will have more luck.

Back