Instant Messaging, Voice Chat on X?!

i used to use Yahoo, to speak with buddies across town from time to time, on my PC. Now i thought i'd give it a go with my iBook (and its Built in Mic), due me standing, and busting my Mic for my PC :(. Anyhow, i tried yahoo, but it seemed that the X Version was VERY basic, and didn't feature Voice Chat. but it DID Prompt me to head over to Yahoo, to update the Software, and Enable me to do this! Now i checked back, and there's no updates, (obvious to the eye, @ least!). So, if Yahoo cannot do it, what Can!? :( iChat Doesn't, altho i STILL Love it! :D (Maybe Mr Steve Wassiz Face should look to drop that into iChat, sometime in the future!)

but as i said, i am now looking for an alternative, to Yahoo, to enable Voice Chat, over a broadband Internet Connection. Bear in mind, All my mates use PC's (altho i am WORKING on things ;))

If anyone could shed some light on the matter, i'd greatly approve!

Peace, :D

NeYo

I hate to tell you, but the options for voice over the internet have been pretty sparse. I've spent hours and hours searching for free voice-transmission over the internet.... AIM for OS 9 has this feature, but no other free app I've seen will do this..... there are a few pay programs that will work... I think CU-SeeMe also did this...

Have you tried versiontracker.com the latest build of yahoo messenger is Yahoo! Messenger X 2.5b1

This has webcam features not to sure about voice over IP.

Yeah, I've just being using the new Yahoo beta to view my borther's (PC) webcam - that part works pretty well.

No voice as far as I can see though.

Perhaps in the final version - after beta?

Worse case, try Gameranger. Funny as it may sound... it does support vioce chat, private rooms, buddy list and all, and is free as well. Runs native on OSX as well.

Haxial's NetFone works beautifully (though the interface is ugly) and is cross platform to OSX, OS9, and Windows.

You can find it at versiontracker or haxial.com.

It is free. Well, shareware, but no features are disabled.

Cheers For All tha Feedback! I Downloaded the Netfone, and emailed ma bud about the Windows version! Sounds Promising! ... Is it Easy to use?!

As For yahoo, thanks! ... i downloaded it, and your right, it has WebCam Support, but not Voice Chat! ...So its almost as good as the Windows Version! :D ... one thing thats been buggin me on that, is Why does EVERY individual IM open in a new Window!? i went through all the settings in 2.0, and 2.5, and theres no setting for it! ... this is TOO annoying, and stopped me using it, But i'd prefer to use Yahoo Over Proteus! Does anyone know a WORK AROUND?!

NeYo

I have been looking all over the internet, but there still doesn't seem to be any voice chat apps (I mean integrated in a 'normal' IM app). anyone knows anything on what are the developments on this feature?

Sorry to tell you, but Yahoo does not currently support voice chat on macs, either through Yahoo messenger (any version), and has only just got webcams working.

Yahoo has very little interest in developing for Mac, due to our low percentage user base. Yahoo also guards it's voice chat code carefully, otherwise voice could be implemented by a third party developer like the guys who work on FIRE or Proteus (try THIS puppy if you want a really multi-service IM. FIRE is good too, by the way), both of which are far superior to Yahoo's Messenger, with the exception of not have webcam support (again due to Yahoo's reluctance to release code). It should also be noted that Yahoo frequently changes their IM & chat protocols in order to cripple 3rd party IM & chat apps, rather than let 3rd party apps fill in the gaps they are leaving in their own service.

Back