Intel Core 2 Duo is now introduced

chevy

Marvelous Da Vinci
Staff member
Mod
It's now introduced on Intel's web site. When do we get our new Macs ? Today ? On next Tuesday ? Or at WWDC ?

Attachments

• core2duo.JPG
    core2duo.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 30
Merom-based notebooks are expected "end of August/early September", which sounds like both the iMacs and MacBook Pros could see an update at WWDC ("shipping at the end of the month") as well.

I wonder where this leaves the Mini and MacBook. Will they still use the Yonah (the current Core Duo/Solo, but at this point using the official names seems more confusing than the codenames), or will Merom simply replace Yonah all across the board?

In any case, it's good to see that Intel's right on schedule. I think they're even ahead a little.

I'm guessing that the Mac Mini and MacBook will remain using the processors they're using now; hopefully the iMac and MacBook Pro receive this update at WWDC.

Generally, Merom will replace Yonah. But Apple will probably do it about the same as they did starting in January: iMac and MacBook Pro get the highend notebook chips first, Mac mini and MacBook follow later on. Until then, those will of course continue to use Yonah.

But I really think it's more interesting to see what Apple will do about the Mac Pro. But that has its own thread. ;)

Will the iMac remain with Merom or switch to Conroe (that is also quite low power) ?

I agree the Merom makes sense as it differentiates from the Mac Pro, but will it survive the need for gaming that will for sure put a strong pressure on iMac performances ?

If there is not Conroe switch in the iMac, if there is not hardware switch in the MacBook (Pro), then these could be announced before the WWDC as Steve likes to focus his presentation on 1) Numbers 2) Important HW/SW evolution (like the next OS, a new Mac Pro and a spreadsheet) 3) A breakthrough technology ("one more thing" like the first iPod, GarageBand, ... iPhone ?!?).

Ahhh, so I guess I will hold back on buying my MacBook Pro then...
You guys pretty sure there will be a release in the not too distant future of MBPro with a ICD2 chip?

Back