Intel Mac...reviews

DevilRocks

Registered
Hey,
I have been thinking about getting a mac mini, but the iMac's are cooler and they don't have any intel processors in the mac mini. Anyways, Basically i would like anyone who has, or has used an intel mac to tell me what they think of it. Is it really worth spending more? I also question if it's as stable or runs as good. If anyone could please tell me their thoughts on the new intel mac's that would be GREAT!!!

thanks

-Thomas Johnson

I've had my Intel/iMac for a week.

The positives: A-plus physical design; very fast boot; native apps are pretty intuitive--I haven't cracked a manual yet; I was actually able to transfer a bunch of files from my old Windows XP machine onto this one, and they can be opened, modified, etc. That was a pleasant surprise.

The negatives: As I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong), Apple released the code for this machine to developers on the same day they released the machine for sale to the public. OSX 10.4 running on the Intel chip is, so far, not very backward-compatible. For example, I was able to install software for my G4-compatible USB audio interface, but the new machine doesn't "see" the hardware. After a bit of investigation, it seems only a handful of USB audio interfaces are compatible. (My investigations continue...)

At the moment, compatibility could be an issue, depending on which applications you want to run. However, that can only get better in the future as manufacturers recompile their software for the Intel machines.

I'd advise getting an Intel machine as it's faster and more future-proof than the G5 iMacs. However, the G5 iMacs have probably gone down a lot in price so you may want to opt for these as they are cheaper. Remember that the G5 was perfectly adequate for the iMac before the Intel chips came out ;)

Well i was thinking of trying gaming on a mac sometime if i were to get a new comp, how would they work for gaming? Also you say that ppc has probobly gone down in price, does this mean that my laptop has probobly gone down in price too, how much do you think it's worth, it's in my signature.

If you can't answer those questions please give me more opinions on the new Intel Mac's Seeing as how i am considering purchasing one.

thanks

-Thomas Johnson

Shookster said:
At the moment, compatibility could be an issue, depending on which applications you want to run. However, that can only get better in the future as manufacturers recompile their software for the Intel machines.

I'd advise getting an Intel machine as it's faster and more future-proof than the G5 iMacs. However, the G5 iMacs have probably gone down a lot in price so you may want to opt for these as they are cheaper. Remember that the G5 was perfectly adequate for the iMac before the Intel chips came out ;)
The Blue and White G3's were quite adequate macs before the Power Mac G4 came out. The MDD G4's were quite adequate until the G5 came out etc.

If you are really, really into gaming, then you might want to pass. Yes, the Mac has Wow, Doom, etc. but if gaming is your primary concern, prepare to be disappointed.

If you just want to play the occasional game, and it actually comes to the platform, then....that's another story.

Traditionally, PC's are gaming machines, not Macs.

jwoods said:
If you are really, really into gaming, then you might want to pass. Yes, the Mac has Wow, Doom, etc. but if gaming is your primary concern, prepare to be disappointed.

If you just want to play the occasional game, and it actually comes to the platform, then....that's another story.

Traditionally, PC's are gaming machines, not Macs.

What I have found is that the top billing games like Quake 4, UT2004, Sims 2, and some others that don't come to mind are released or ported over to the Mac. If a person who wants a mac still wants to make gaming their priority, they know to skip the PC and spend the money on a gaming console. If you look at the game requirements nowadays, you have to have almost the top-end PC to be able to play them. It's much cheaper to get yourself and XBOX 360 and play the games that way. You'll get a better gaming experience than you would ever get on a gaming PC, with less noise and heat generated. Plus, you'll have a better computing experience with your purchased Mac as opposed to Windows. :D

nixgeek said:
What I have found is that the top billing games like Quake 4, UT2004, Sims 2, and some others that don't come to mind are released or ported over to the Mac. If a person who wants a mac still wants to make gaming their priority, they know to skip the PC and spend the money on a gaming console. If you look at the game requirements nowadays, you have to have almost the top-end PC to be able to play them. It's much cheaper to get yourself and XBOX 360 and play the games that way. You'll get a better gaming experience than you would ever get on a gaming PC, with less noise and heat generated. Plus, you'll have a better computing experience with your purchased Mac as opposed to Windows. :D

Console gaming doesn't touch PC gaming yet I am afraid (IMO). Two words come to mind: Keyboard and Mouse.

i'm with you all the way. however people have to get used to the idea that Half Life 2 and all it's lovely daughters will never come to the mac :(

Is Blizzard the only game company that generally releases for both PC's and Macs?

I'm with you on the keyboard and mouse. Simply works better for most games than a couple of mini-joysticks and some buttons. I'm curious to see how the revolutions controllers are going to work out.

jwoods said:
Is Blizzard the only game company that generally releases for both PC's and Macs?

I'm with you on the keyboard and mouse. Simply works better for most games than a couple of mini-joysticks and some buttons. I'm curious to see how the revolutions controllers are going to work out.

No, Epic, the creators of the Unreal engine, also release for PC & Mac. This is good because a lot of games make use of this engine.

lurk said:
Yer wrong ;) Apple "released the code" to developers last summer.

You're both wrong - Apple still hasn't released the code for Intel Macs.

Here is the source for Darwin on PPC. The Darwin kernel is called xnu, so you have to scroll to the bottom of the list to find it.

Here is the source for Darwin on Intel Macs. Notice the absence of xnu. You can't build Darwin for Intel Macs if you want to.

It's possible they just haven't gotten it ready for release yet. Or it's possible they are tactically delaying (or altogether abandoning) the release in order to make life more difficult for those who would port OS X to generic x86 hardware (although they've already lost that battle and they know it).

I love the IntelMac. It's fast and easy to use. If you are a gamer, check out which games you like and see if they run in OS10 before you buy this machine. If you are into photos, music and film - then this computer is for you.

Back