Intel/PPC compatibility?

octavedoctor

Registered
Apologies if anyone has asked this q if they have perhaps someone could link me to the appropriate FAQ.

My G4 anglepoise iMac has just died and i've taken the plunge and ordered an Intel iMac.

I have routinely kept bootable clones of my OSX installation on external hard drives so that if anything goes tits up I can boot from an external drive and restore using Super Duper.

But I won't be able to do this with the Intel iMac because the core systems are compiled differently for the Intel chip than for the PPC G4. Right?

Or can I...?

i know data won't be a problem, but what about applications? Will i have to reinstall everything from scratch?

The OSX Tiger installation disc for Intel is different from the installer for the G-series; or is it?

If this is the case, can i get away with installing OSX for Intel on the new iMac then Super-Dupering the contents of the hard drive over onto the Intel machine?

I really am a bit lost on this... :(

Yep. You clean install the system on the intel Mac and get apps, files and settings with the migration assistant. Takes some time, but it's worth the wait. (Doing it by hand might seem to take less time, but only because you're not forced to only _watch_ the process.) ;)

Thanks guys, I've not used Migration Assistant before, it looks typically user friendly so let's hope for a simple upgrade.

Anyone know if PGP9 runs OK on Intel? There's no UB yet apparently but it should run in Rosetta shouldn't it?

thanks Viro. I thought I'd read on a security forum somewhere that it hadn't been released as a Universal Binary yet.

Thank you for setting me straight.

Apple have just delivered my iMac, three days earlier than I had expected it. Despite being a refurb, as far as I can tell it's flawless

Back