Intel Prepping Surprise Dual-Core Desktop for Release

jeb1138

Carioca
Nice! Maybe this is part of what good 'ol Stevie & Intel had up their sleeves.

Hey -- we finally get to be excited about Intel releases. Cool! And...weird.

Slashdot.org said:
CoolTechZone is reporting that Intel is planning on introducing a dual-core Dothan chip for desktop computers. According to the article, Intel has plans to turn the performance table around with AMD. From the article: 'Finally, it looks like Intel has learned from its mistake and secretly prepping a surprise for the rest of the industry. According to the information we received, Intel is currently working on a desktop, dual-core Dothan microprocessor with SSE3 instruction set that Intel plans to launch sometime in the future. Whether the launch will take place this year or in 2006 is currently unknown.
the article itself:
http://www.cooltechzone.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=1375

'...In addition to the news from Intel, our sources reported that at least one of the tier-one motherboard makers is currently working on a motherboard solution that would support Intel’s upcoming microprocessor...'

yep - it all sounds like its coming together... the tech is being made NOW to go into machines asap - apple will start building their new machines next year with all this new custom tech.

in the only way apple can - by pulling together the right components to get the right job done.

It's not really a surprise. They've mentioned dual-core before and I've seen third-party benchmarks of AMD's dual core X2 (I don't think it's been released to consumers yet though).

jeb1138 said:
Hey -- we finally get to be excited about Intel releases. Cool! And...weird.
That's how I feel. Apple can sure twist your opinions of companies. First we're made to love IBM and hate Intel and Microsoft (well M$ since day 1). But now we're made to hate IBM and love Intel. What next? We'll start to love Microsoft? :confused: (ok I probably used love and hate as extremes, but you get the point)

why "hate" IBM? they've done us well. they still will for the next xx months (until the G5s are phased out).

IBM's CPUs ARE GOOD. they just don't have the motivation to keep pushing, cus there isnt anywhere near the market for desktop G5s as there is for desktop Pentiums.

I felt shit all day yesterday, because of this. I'm not "happy" about this. but in two 1/2 years I'll probably go out and buy a PowerBook with Centrino. My G5 will keep working. So will my G4. Most of the Third-Party apps I use are Cocoa (thank god I've insisted on using "pure" cocoa apps.. they should just work on Intel)

Pengu said:
why "hate" IBM? they've done us well. they still will for the next xx months (until the G5s are phased out).
Yea for the next xx months, but for the next xx years they won't do us well, that's where Intel comes in. IBM can't do jack when it comes to mobile processors, so that's the 2nd part of the equation.

Intel = mobile + 3.0Ghz (future) != IBM

so just because apple aren't using a companies products doesn't make them "the enemy"

apple dont use Sony for their LCD panels, but that doesnt mean Sony don't make good cameras and phones etc.

Back