Intel via remote desktop

Myke

Registered
Many will think me mad, but I want to run a Mac Mini Intel via remote desktop to my G4 1.25 Dual, so I can use Windows on my G4 at near native speeds. Of course you get the bonus of a speedy new Mac, too - probably faster than the G4.

My question is, can this be done via Apple's remote desktop software - or the equivilent MS remote desktop software? If it can, is it sensible to do it?Leaving aside the issue of running Windows at all - been there, done that! I do not want to buy a big ugly PC which I don't have room for.

I know you can't currently run Windows properly on Intel macs - I am assuming a solution will emerge.

Once Windows XP _is_ running on the intel Mac mini (yes, we know it's not possible just yet), you could theoretically use Microsoft's RDC (it's quite good) or VNC. With a fast network connection between the two machines, that would actually work just fine. However: It still won't feel as direct as using Windows directly. Some things just can't be done on Windows through the network, and I believe you won't be able to run games or watch movies or anything like that. Not at decent FPS, anyway, if possible at all.

Well Fryke I went ahead and bought a MacBook Pro...

At first I thought MS RD was going to be viable. Within minutes I had XP running from my MacBook pro all around the house, wirelessly, even on my wife's ancient indigo iMac. Usable XP on a 350 iMac - amazing!

And then ...

Suddenly a kernal panic on my G4 desktop ..took several reboots to sort it. Now when I try to connect via remote desktop, the Mac doesn't panic but XP does. You get the login screen and as soon as you enter your user name and password ...the blue screen of death. Then the Mac Book shuts down.

Any theories?

Back