Intel vs. PPC wireless

EclecticMunk

Registered
Tricky one...

I have an Intel Mac (iMac G5 20") at home
and a PPC Mac (iMac G5 17") at work
I have an IBM PC Laptop that I use in both locations
All machines have wireless

I have enabled internet connection sharing on the machine at work and the machine at home - both have the same setup: Share the ethernet connection to airport with 128bit WEP keys.

At work, my PC laptop connects to the PPC iMac with no problem and all internet functionality works.

At home, my PC laptop sees the network I created, but can't connect. It fails with an error that has to do with the authentication.

Has anyone else had this? Can someone help me out?

Looking forward to your replies.

Cheers.
E.M. :cool:

Not sure if this solves your problem, but I ran into a similar issue with my MBP not connecting to my WEP wireless network at home. I have other PCs on the network that connected every time without problems. I read through all the tricks and nothing seemed to fix the problem. Then I converted my wireless network to WPA and it worked perfectly, transparently and automatically just like it should have from the beginning. And now my network is much more secure (just search around and see how weak WEP is).

I'd suggest switching everything to WPA and see what happens. I think there is a definite problem with Tiger, Intel Macs and WEP.

Mark

WEP is old encryption technology that tools already exists to to crack it. They created a new encryption code called WPA. So why are not you using this?

Back