Interesting Skype Problem

Martin1985

Registered
Not so much a problem, just annoying...

I recently installed skype onto my MacBook Pro. Now it seems that whenever I restart, the disk image that you download from the Skype website mounts on my desktop and launches itself!

Seeing as I don't have the .dmg file anywhere on my computer and I eject the image each time and run it from my hard drive, I dont really understand how it's doing what it's doing. Can anyone let me know how to stop it doing this?

Thanks alot.

You will have Safari (presuming you're using Safari) to 'open safe files when downloaded' (default settings).

To prevent this open Safari Preferences

Select General Tab

Locate 'Save Downloaded Files' and use the drop down menu to select a path away from your desktop (this should stop auto launching when restarting your Mac)

Uncheck 'Open Safe Files when Download Complete' (this will stop the auto launch when downloaded)

Hope this helps :)

I had a similar problem to this - turned out that I was running it off the disk image (I was in a hurry) - I hadn't copied it to the Applications folder. Therefore, when I started my computer up, and it went to launch Skype, it was mounting the disk image to find the Application. Make sure you have it in your Applications folder, and that this copy of Skype is the one in your Login Items.

Hope this helps,
Tom

I think I may have figured it out... Though I'm not sure yet as I can't really be bothered to restart! haha.

I found that the .dmg file was in the Trash so maybe something was happening with that? I can't see why it should but thats the most I can come up with. I copied the appliction into my applications folder and it launches fine from there, not really sure what happened.

I'll restart tomorrow and let you know what happens...

Thanks alot! :)

Back