Interface Builder

Ferdinand

V. Tech
I don't know a lot about building apps, so please bear with me...

I opened Interface Builder to try around with the "lets see what this button does" technique. So I managed to build I really little text app, but how can I save it as an app? If I click File -> Save, it saves it as an Interface builder document, not as an app. If Interface Builder is really only for making the interface of an app, with which other app do I open the I. B. document to save it as a real ".app" file. I made main windows, menu bars and everything to go with it, so I do not understand why I. B. won't let me do it...

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
THANKS!

Interface Builder creates user interfaces, not applications. You must create a project in Xcode to create an application. The Interface Builder nib file is part of the Xcode project.

Normally you create the Xcode project first because Xcode's Cocoa project templates include a nib file. You edit the included nib file in Interface Builder. But since you've already created a nib file, you can create a Cocoa Xcode project, delete the nib file that comes with the project, and add your nib file to the project. You'll probably want to rename your nib file MainMenu.nib, which is the default name for the main nib file in a Cocoa program.

It worked! Thanks! One last question: how can I add a preference panel with an option for with or without texture? I mean "with" texture is like how Safari looks like, "without" is a standard finder window.

Back