interface

LogikWeaver

Registered
I've read somewhere that it is possible to switch between aqua and the interface for Next by changing something in a config file... does anyone know what file u change and what u change? thanks!

I don't remember exactly but look through your preferences folder for a plist file with the property NSInterfaceStyle

I did it to my 10.0.0 (now .4, I think), and it didn't work. And, my console is cluttered with "cannot find NXinterface, using default interface" messages. Can someone tell me how to put it back (the Finder looks normal, I just don't like seeing the console look so sad...).

Thanks

I did the same thing and it seems like my computer goes slower compared to the other accounts on my computer. I forgot the command, but in the public beta u can type aqua instead of next and it would go back to normal. I did that, but now it says "cannot find aqua interface."

ok, so with the pb, you could type :
defaults write 'Apple Global Domain' NSInterfaceStyle Nextstep
and you'd get different windows or something
defaults write 'Apple Global Domain' NSInterfaceStyle Aqua
would put things back to normal.

However, if you do either of these in post PB, you get messages like this in your console:
Jul 15 15:53:12 Terminal[1303] InterfaceStyle nextstep not valid; ignoring.

Well, I took the plunge and took a chance. Here's what you do to correct this (so you don't get error messages, and the system isn't as confused)
defaults delete 'Apple Global Domain' NSInterfaceStyle
And that does it. Do not, under any curmstances, type:
defaults delete 'Apple Global Domain'
You can guess what that might do.
btw, defaults read is a cool method of reading your preferences.

I hope this helps some people out.

I sure wish Apple would quit disabling neat features like this in OS X. I'm really hurting for something faster and and less bloated than aqua that will allow me to get work done. If I could get the airport and sound working properly under NetBSD, MacOSX would be gone in a flash.

As a new user who's only had OS X since early June 2001, I'm already feeling burnt out. Mac OS 9 supports all the commercial apps I need to run and the novelty of MacOSX is rapidly wearing off.

MacOS X attracted me because I had hoped it would approximate Brian Swetland's ideal OS. In other words, "one that had a well designed GUI that was easy to set up and use, but that included terminal windows where I could revert to the command line and run GNU software, when it made sense."

One out of two ain't bad. MacOS X is a pretty decent unix, but the GUI is a total pile of pants. Some day MacOS X may run faster. Some day MacOS X may have tractor apps that will make regular Mac users want to run MacOS X instead of Mac OS 9. We're not there yet. Until we DO get some tractor apps, there's little incentive to use Mac OS X instead of *BSD or Linux.

You can'd deny, though, that mac os x will get industry support. I'm willing to bet that there are some developers out there that have been dreading developing for the mac os simply because it was so... odd. (Not that OS X isn't odd, but it is to an extend consistant and built on standards.)

I think that, given a year or so, Mac OS X will be known as the operating system where professional's developed for it, as well as Amatures.

Lots of soft ware companies are afraid to develop for linux. Its an odd operating system. A bit of a hack, sometimes.

And if you haven't noticed, there isn't alot of open-source development taking place for Mac OS 9.

But I have no doubt that Mac OS X will be supported from end to end. Maya to emacs, so to speak.

My first post!

At the keynote I saw 10.1 demoed by Steve - it was easily 10 times faster than the current sloth 10.0.4 - all variations of file viewing were instant. Period. It was great - almost a relief to finally see this pig fly. And I wasn't alone - the audience was silent with shock and utter dismay - until it began to sink in and the applause commenced to deafening volumes.

Steve launched about five apps at once and they ALL opened in under 2 secs - IE opens in the blink of an eye. 10.1 makes 10.0.4 look like 9.1 on a 6100/66. Even the dock hacks has been implemented - it was sooo fast (except for the DVD player which appears to suck big time, as it crashed and was very slow - in the tradition of beta Mac DVD players)

The interface became transparent at that speed, making it a pleasure to keep dock animations on and all the fluff that people like me have removed - it doesn't matter now as the power is there.

Raoul Duke
NYC

Back