intermittent incoming network access

hotani

Registered
I have an iBook hooked up via DSL with a static IP. I run a webserver on there for my own use, as well as ftp and ssh on occasion. I have never had a problem getting out when working on the machine.

For a while, when using 10.1 I had no problem accessing the machine from work; I could see my webpages and connect with ssh or ftp at any time.

However, just before I upgraded to 10.2, it started being inaccessible for most of the day. Sometimes it appears, and will remain up as long as there is activity. When it sits inactive for more than 5 minutes or so, it is gone until the next time (no, it is not set to sleep).

I was pretty sure 10.2 would remedy the problem but it did not.

Any suggestions?

Have you ever figured out your problem? I have basically got the same problem now. It seems to reconnect in DSL, most of the time, if I switch to a dial-up connection and then switch back to DSL. A real nuisance, though.

No, it is still acting up. I have discovered that if I keep hitting it eventually it will "wake up" and respond. If I continue to give it activity it will stay up indefinitely, but if it is inactive for more than a couple minutes it might drop again.

It is very annoying and I am sure that neither the machine nor operating system is to blame; it is either my DSL or the lines in the house.

A friend of mine who was having the same problem said he reconfigured his setup, like moved it across the room, or to a different phone jack and it cleared up. I have tried a couple different jacks in the house with no luck. sorry.

Back