Internal DVD burner for G4

xgipper

Registered
I want to switch my internal DVD Rom drive in my G4 tower (running Tiger) for a DVD writer. Can I bung any one in? Should it be recognised, or will I need additioinal drivers etc? I may choose a NEC 7371A - any issues with this? In terms of software I have Toast, and may get a more sophisticated DVD-making package at a later stage.
Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the link, although I will need to buy in the UK. Any advice re: my questions please - can I use pretty much any writer? Will it be recognised? NEC? (I think in fact it's a AD-7173 rather than a 7371A btw)
Cheers

Pretty much any burner will work.

By the way, I believe that company ships to the UK.

I've had trouble getting certain burners to work in Macs. I would look for a Pioneer 110 or 111 DVD burner. These are fast and work great with Macs.

If you're in the UK I would recommend a Pioneer DVR-111D. Available at a bargain £19.99 from SVP:

http://svp.co.uk/searchresults.php

And yes, pretty much any DVD-R will work via Toast, though the Pioneer has system support (i.e. it'll burn through iTunes, iDVD, etc.). You could go for the slightly more expensive model if you need DVD-RAM.

Back