Internal Hd Suggestions For 2011 Macbook Pro

Doctor X

Registered
In a long-winded thread on the Software section I discuss issues with DiskWarrior. Blah . . . blah . . . blah everything is working fine--I even now like El Capitan--but now DiskWarrior says I have "bad blocks."

Nothing else does. I am running a surface scan. However, it being Friday here, if the test finds bad blocks I need a new Int-HD.

I have been happy with a:

Seagate 1TB Laptop Gaming SSHD (Solid State Hybrid Drive) SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 2.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive (ST1000LM014)

which has lasted now over two years.

Sure, I would love a proper Solid State drive but I carry about 500 GB and the 1 TB are $$$$.

Any suggestions welcome!

--J.D.

Have you checked for an update for Disk Warrior? With each major change of the OS, Disk Warrior has an update. Sometimes they take a while to release an update to the latest OS.

But . . . but . . . but "Solid State Drive," Cheryl!

Seriously, the report just finished and "No Bad Blocks." Whilst DW does not have an update I have contacted their support again.

I am inclined to ignore DW and keep the drive and clone more frequently. If it is going to fail, it will fail.

--J.D.

Exactly. However, I seemed to have solved the "problem" by creating a boot disk for El Capitan then using it to upgrade my OS--the machines original Recovery Partition loads Lion. That even updated the Recovery Partition and even Disk Utility is happy.

--J.D.

Nearly 2.5 years later, the computer is running slow. Most diagnostic programs cannot handle a hybrid--it is either "SMART" or "FAIL."

However, there have been some odd errors and VERYYYYY LONG reboots that you have to sometimes cancel. Everything else--including memory checks out.

Looks like It's Time.

Held off just to see if the price would lower--which it has--so . . . coming in a day . . . a 1TB SDD!11!

hyper.gif

--J.D.

I assume you are talking about the new SSD that you installed. Did you do the happy dance?

Back