Internet autostarts in os x

Acheron

Registered
k, my problem is as following.. I just upgraded my G4 533 MHZ from using classic 9.2.2 to mac os x 10.1.5.. everything is very nice except this thing:

to connect internet im using a ISDN router. Earlier (in 9.2.2) this connected the internet when needed also when i checked my mail or tried to load a website etc etc.. but now it connects the internet while booting the os x.. this is VERY annoying as i pay per min. Also we got two phone lines in my house and today both my brother and dad used a line..no free one left for internet then mac os x refuses to boot at all...it just staying stuck until my bro hang on the phone then it connected and finished the boot...

how to get around thiss?

Cant find my network profile in the network panal in system prefferences either as i asked the mac os x setup helper to install internet..so im not able to modify the network settings it seems like...

my last problem being that my router using browser management but in os x explorer 5.2 wont load all the router information properly it only loads the main meny to the left not other stuff... so i need to config router using classic mode and the old explorer...

any ideas what is wrong?

thx for any help

The first three places to check are all in System Preferences. In Date and Time/Network make sure 'Use Network Time Server' isn't checked. In QuickTime/Update make sure that 'Check for updates automatically' isn't checked. In Software Update make sure that 'Update automatically' isn't checked.

The same idea holds true in any 'startup at login' apps you have.

check to see if your ISDN modem is set to
dial on broadcast packets.

You may need to add some filters to the ISDN
unit to keep it down. I uused to use ISDN
to connect and there would be a number
of broadcast and other packets during startup.

You may want to d/l another browser such
as Mozilla.

Alot of startup stuff is controlled by
the /etc/hostconfig file (what the sysprefs
GUI modifies)

perhaps define a location that doesn't have
any ethernet connectivity and boot that
location?

Back