Internet Connect and other problems

ByerlyRips

Registered
I'm having a couple of problems under 10.2.1. First, sometimes when I choose connect from the modem menu the system will just sit there forever with that spinning CD icon and I'm forced to manually reboot. Also, I have two drives installed (60GB and 8GB). The 60GB is my main drive with both OS X and Classic installed. But whenever I boot into 9.2 it does not recognize my 8GB drive (It shows the drive in Drive Setup but will not mount). Any ideas why?

First:
Wait! It can take you mac up to 5 Minutes to start to dial! I had the same problem! Try alt-command-esc! It may reduce the time. I reported this bug to apple!

Second:
Sad but true. I think you will have to reformat your drive with DriveSetup !BUT! there is a button that says something like "Install OS 9 drivers" YOU HAVE TO SELECT THIS BUTTON!!!

One more... first go to OS 9, Open diskSetup and select install OS 9 Drivers from there!:) :) :)

Good luck!:)

Disk Setup? I have Drive Setup for OS 9 and DIsk Utility for OS X. In drive setup I see no option to istall OS 9 drivers and in Disk Utility the only way to install OS 9 drivers is to reformat the drive.

Under OS9, launch Drive Setup...Select a drive in the window which opens...then under Function in the Menu Bar, select Update Driver.

Hope this helps,
Matt

I too have been plagued over the past 2-3 months by internet connection hangs (note: this is NOT caused by the Internet Connect application, as this is simply a graphical front end for some Unix internet connection function).

It never happens on the first connection after a reboot, but on all subsequent connections. It will usually clear itself up if you wait long enough, or faster if you use Apple+option+esc to sneak in an interruption into whatever is going on that is causing it. This doesn't quit anything, it just kicks the hung process out of the way so the internet connection can occur correctly.

From my examination of my console log, I have noticed a regular complaint about failing to connect to a wireless network. Perhaps something has caused our machines to try connecting to non-existent Airports (wireless networks)?

If you are finding that you can never connect a second time, and a reboot is required, check if you have enabled your firewall under OSX. Currently this has to be done via the command line or with a graphical front end application like Brickhouse. I got into trouble a while ago having 2 slightly different Firewall startup scripts fighting each other, causing my own firewall to ban my internet connection on the second attempt. Clearing the firewall rules and using only one script did the trick. (NOTE: Firewalls are GOOD! Every OSX user should get theirs set up. or risk getting hacked or damaged by malicious code).

I hope I have been some help. I will be upgrading to OSX 10.1.3 this coming weekend, so with any luck, that will fix the ghost in the machine!

JeffCGD :p

Greetings all.

I have just got off the phone with Applecare support, and they are aware of this problem and have the Mac coders hunting for this bug.

It seems to crop up if you regularly have you mac running for more than 1-2 days continuously, (as a Unix based system SHOULD, and LIKES TO). Apple has not yet found the problem, but is aware of it and has it on their "To do" list. Here's hoping they get "To do" it soon. In the mean time they suggest regular reboots once a day (wasn't this why we wanted out of OS9?!), or do what I do and bring up the force quit dialog to kick the hung process into action eventually.

It's ridiculous that a powerful OS should be hobbled by something so stupid. It's like a world class athlete being unable to compete because of a hang nail.

JeffCGD

Looks like Apple have pulled that bloke's site. Maybe they have an update almost ready...

BTW, the patched .kext really works ;)

Originally posted by JeffCGD
Greetings all.

I have just got off the phone with Applecare support, and they are aware of this problem and have the Mac coders hunting for this bug.

It seems to crop up if you regularly have you mac running for more than 1-2 days continuously, (as a Unix based system SHOULD, and LIKES TO). Apple has not yet found the problem, but is aware of it and has it on their "To do" list. Here's hoping they get "To do" it soon. In the mean time they suggest regular reboots once a day (wasn't this why we wanted out of OS9?!), or do what I do and bring up the force quit dialog to kick the hung process into action eventually.

It's ridiculous that a powerful OS should be hobbled by something so stupid. It's like a world class athlete being unable to compete because of a hang nail.

JeffCGD

Force quit works.
If anyone wants to have that .kext... Let me know! PM me!:)

It's just one single stupid number that has to be changed. The most stupid bug I have ever seen!:p

Back