Internet Connect crash/Software Update w

HandleVandal

Registered
I am running a 500mhz G3 slot loading iMac running 10.3.9 w/ 1GB of memory.

About 2 weeks ago, after waking FrankenMac up from sleep mode, I noticed the Airport status symbol failed to appear in the menu bar (next to the volume/date&time etc).

Looking into my Network settings revealed that I was indeed still connected to the internet, via my Airport, all systems go. However, I noticed that "show airport status in menu bar" was unchecked, so I checked the box. Which apparently did jack squat b/c there's still no icon.

For the last couple weeks, as long as I've been connected to the internet, I could really give a flying flip about whether the airport status icon is there or not. I mean, seriously. I know this computer is a little old so why rock the boat on something trivial?

Until today. Today I was determined to figure out where the icon is, why it went away and if there are any other underlying problems.

I started first with Internet connect. Applications->Internet Connect, clicked on the purple IC button, only to have it launch in the dock, bounce once, then quit.

A crash log shows:
Host Name: Handlevandal's-Computer.local
Date/Time: 2008-06-18 09:13:15 -0400
OS Version: 10.3.9 (Build 7W98)
Report Version: 2

Command: Internet Connect
Path: /Applications/Internet Connect.app/Contents/MacOS/Internet Connect
Version: ??? (???)
PID: 437
Thread: Unknown

Link (dyld) error:

dyld: /Applications/Internet Connect.app/Contents/MacOS/Internet Connect truncated or malformed library: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/InternetConnect.framework/Versions/A/InternetConnect (file is empty)

I attempted to open Software Update next to see if there was something critical (ha!) I might be missing. Apple menu->software update and it was a repeat performance of Internet Connect, except this time I wouldn't even get so much as the Software Update icon in the dock. The dock would move everything to the left, as if it was going to open, then....nothing.

*Software update was working as of 6/14*, when I updated (perhaps foolishly) to Quicktime 7.5.

Crash log shows:
Mac OS X Version 10.3.9 (Build 7W98)
2008-06-18 13:56:17 -0400
2008-06-18 13:56:19.213 SystemUIServer200 *** -NSBundle load: Error loading code /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/A/Resources/ClientController.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ClientController for bundle /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Resources/ClientController.bundle, error code 1 (link edit error code 1, error number 88 (dyld: /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer truncated or malformed library: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/InternetConnect.framework/Versions/A/InternetConnect (file is empty)

))

2008-06-18 13:56:19.214 SystemUIServer200 Error loading AirPort Menu Extra: Couldn't initialize shared Controller

2008-06-18 13:56:19.227 SystemUIServer200 failed to load Menu Extra: NSBundle </System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/AirPort.menu> (loaded)

dyld: /Applications/Internet Connect.app/Contents/MacOS/Internet Connect truncated or malformed library: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/InternetConnect.framework/Versions/A/InternetConnect (file is empty)

2008-06-18 13:58:33.684 System Preferences338 Warning: TIFF image with unknown extra samples assumed to have unassociated alpha. RGB values have been premultiplied. Use tiffutil -cat to fix.

This ridiculously long post boils down to 2 questions, really.
• Any ideas why Internet Connect and Software Update won't open and how to fix?
• Where in the world is my Airport status icon? (not that it matters since I'm connected to the internet, but doggone it!)

I've run Disk Utility, repaired permissions and the HD checks out fine. I've blasted the PRAM and seen if the problem persists when I create another account (it does). I'm just at a loss.

Should I just put up, shut up and be grateful that these problems, while aggravating, aren't majorly disrupting my life? I'm worried that these might be symptoms of something bigger.

Thanks for any insight!

Back