Internet connect hangs disconnecting using mobile connection (GPRS, EDGE, UMTS)

MyZelF

Registered
Hi all,
I'm on holiday using my mobile phone (Nokia N80) to connect to the Internet over GPRS / EDGE / UMTS. Everything works like a charm, but often the Internet Connect applet drops the connection and just hangs disconnecting.

I'm not able to force quit or kill the process (trying to kill -9 the pppd process) and have to reboot to get connected again. Really frustrating.

I'm running OS X 10.4.7 on a 17" Macbook pro, but I have the same result on a iBook G4, same OS X version, and even trying with a different mobile phone (Nokia 6600) and different network service provider.

I googled reading about similar pppd hangs, not related with mobile connections, but I'm still looking for a solution.

Any hint?

Thanks in advance.

I took a screen shot of this a while ago, Hope it helps:~

'Quote:
Warning for GPRS users: If you get connected but no traffic seems to flow, try turning off TCP header compression. (Preferences:pPP:pPP Options) Many GPRS networks do not support this feature.
Warning for OSX and GPRS networks. If you get disconnections after only a few seconds, turn off "Send PPP echo packets"

Best.

Well, thank you for your reply.

Now I'm trying those settings.

However, I'm already able to stay connected for an hour or so, the problem is that when the connection drops, "Internet connect" hangs and I have to reboot to get it working again.

I think this is related with bluetooth support, it seems like "internet connect" drops or loses the bluetooth connection with my mobile (looking at the mobile display, the internet connection seems to be up and running).

This seems like an old and persistent problem, I'm facing the same troubles. Did you find a solution?

The only thing that works for me is rebooting both the mac and the phone *and* switching on and off the bluetooth on both devices. Frustrating.

Mmmm... did you see the date of my post? ;)

However, latest Leopard releases seem to have fixed the issue for me.

Hehe, yes I saw the date, hence the "old and persistent".

Unfortunately, the latest and greatest Leopard still has the same problem on my MacBook... I guess I'll have to keep hoping for an update that fixes the problem for me too.

Thanks!

Back