Internet Explorer for Mac officially killed by MS

About why this led to MS Office for Mac discussion: I guess nobody really cared that much about IE being canned, so the discussion went another way...

at the moment the general view is "you can't have a computer, realistically, without MS Office. that would be silly". people buy it because they don't think anything else would be in any way acceptable.

Thank The Cheese said:
MS really should merge Publisher and Word into one app IMO).
Doing this would mean that they'd be ditching one of their products. Right now, everyone on Windows uses Word, and they buy publisher if they need it, so MS has a second revenue stream. They eliminate one stream by combining the two, because, essentially, publisher becomes part of Word, which is a core Office suite app.

Publisher is junky anyway. What they should do is make it better and attempt to release it for the Mac. That gives Apple's Pages a bit more competition in the personal and small business desktop publishing arena. Pages is great, but I don't care what company we are talking about. Lack of competition makes for stagnated software after a year or two.

Regarding IE:mac -- um, ok. The general response I have heard to this announcement has been resounding apathy.

Regarding Office:mac -- the disappearance of this product would hurt both Microsoft and Apple. The former would lose revenue and one of the things that they can point to as evidence of them not trying to have an OS monopoly. The latter would lose switchers because many people who are coming to the Mac platform view Office as an essential group of applications that keeps them compatible with their old files/class mates/coworkers.

Back