Internet Explorer keeps quitting

To fix your Explorer problem, go to your Home -> Library -> Preferences -> Explorer folder and trash the following:

• Download Cache
• English.Toolbar.xml
• History.html
• Temporary files

You will need to re-customize your toolbar if you had done so in the past.

I had this problem and doing these steps resolved the problem immediately. You may need to trash your favorites.html file too if it is the corrupt file. Save a copy first. You can trash the entire Explorer folder too if you want. All will be re-created when Explorer is launched again.

Good luck.

Jeff

I just deleted IE altogether...everything seems fine now! There are so many better browsers available ou there..M$ aint got that big a grip..and shouldnt on Mac OS platform..

Trashing the app didn't work for me. I tried using a copy from another one of my machines. I also tried using Pacifist to get the bloody package part. It kills me that Microsoft doesn't let you download an install image!

I think I had a corrupt xml toolbar. Anyway, trashing fixed it.

About the other browsers. Yep...some good ones. BUT some things are irritating on those browsers as well. Can't stand how OmniWeb smoothes all fonts. They look so fuzzy (and so does Mac OS X's font smoothing). I know that you can change what size to start font smoothing, but have you ever seen non-smoothed fonts? Yuck. Explorer's fonts always seem to look fine (assuming the author of the site you are viewing has taken the time to code properly).

Plus, some companies *only* support IE browser's for their intranets. Some code may not even work in these other browsers. I wish I would never hear "That's not the standard" again. BUT, it costs money to make sure your pages look right in each and every browser. If you follow W3 standards your code should work in every browser....but unfortunately not everyone follows W3 standards.

I'm a bit confused.

So, font smoothing sucks if it's Apple/Mac related, but is great if it is in IE?

Can't stand how OmniWeb smoothes all fonts. They look so fuzzy (and so does Mac OS X's font smoothing). I know that you can change what size to start font smoothing, but have you ever seen non-smoothed fonts? Yuck. Explorer's fonts always seem to look fine

:confused:

I never said 'sucks'. And I never said font display in IE was great. I said they always seem to look fine.

I am just not a fan of how every font looks like it has a heavier weight. I know this is Mac OS X specific and probably carries over to the browser (and I must mention that I have not used OS X for very long since most apps I use are not carbonized and booting into Classic is a drag). Windows displayed in list view become much longer because of the font height, spacing, etc. I am already tired of scrolling windows. Much more was displayed in an OS 9 window and looked much cleaner.

Call me antiquated, but I want to be able to set my system font to Geneva and I would love to get rid of Mac OS X's drop-shadow on all items on the desktop. When you select items on the desktop in OS X, it is more difficult to tell which items are selected...mostly because the file name is not highlighted - opposite of OS 9. Selecting shared volumes becomes more difficult because the icons are dark and grey to begin with. And don't get me started on how long it takes to connect to an AppleShare IP server!

Yes, there are probably apps that have been written to make some things more OS 9-like. Like Windowshade! Wish that was back...but why does someone have to write an app that is shareware for something that was in a previous version of the OS? But you get all these other great things like Terminal, NetInfo, blah, blah, blah. Somethings help you work faster and windowshade was one of them.

BUT, this topic started out as how to fix an IE crashing problem, not what I like and dislike about OS X. For another forum I suppose...

OK.

I included your quote to show i was using a technique of exaggeration to point out a flaw (slight), but still a flaw that caused confusion.

Wasn't trying to upset and yes this thread has degenerated. Do we ever stay on topic???:D

Hope i didn't hurt your feelings or come off as insulting...

Back