Internet Explorer will not down load anything

jkohler22

Registered
The other day IE 5.1.3 just stopped being able to download. No matter what I try to download nothing happens. I tried removing the Prefs, no luck. Nothing changed from one day to the next, except I can't download now. I tried to reinstall IE but I cannot install it by it self from the X CD. M$ does not have a download of 5.1 on their site, how can I reinstall IE without trashing my system? Better yet how can I get my current IE to download?

Any help?

I have the same problem. Thanks for pointing out the excellent utility (Pacifist), but it didn't make things work for me. I can right click (i.e. control+click) download links and they work, but that's a big pain in the bohonkus and doesn't automatically decompress it when the download is complete.

Has anyone else had this download problem with Internet Exploder and found a fix? MS's site stinks for Mac support, so I'm hoping this forum will be able to help.

Good call! (Why can't I think of these things when I'm working on my own computer?) :)

Loggin in under another user eliminates this problem, so it does seem to be a preferences thing, but I've thrown away everything under my Explorer preferences:

/Users/USERNAME/Library/Preferences/Explorer/*.*

Any more insight? It seems as if we're getting closer!

I have read of at least one instance in which an IE problem was solved by deleting the ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.internetconfig.plist file.

While I am very appreciative of the suggestion, unfortunately, it didn't help.

Hope we can find a solution here...

I would suggest changing the default download folder location. You may not have permission, for some reason or another, to download to the set folder. Try another one in your home directory & report back. :)

Again, another fantastic idea didn't work. :(

Thanks. Any other suggestions would be still very much appreciated!

Be sure, if you're blowing away IE preferences, to get them all (here's what I see):

Code:
~/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.explorer.plist
~/Library/Preferences/Explorer/*
~/Library/Caches/MS Internet Cache/*

Anyone know of others?

One thing you might look at - have you recently tried the app SpeedDownload? This app takes over the d/l from Explorer (and others) and I have yet been able to find out how to get Explorer to regain the ability. In the mean time what I have found that is easier than right clicking on the links is to have the download manager window open in Explorer and simply drag the link into the download window and it will start the download.

Shame on the developers of Speed Download to take over IE (and other DL) and not offer any documentation on removing it completely and resetting!

Woo Hoo! That was it! Thank you so much for rooting out the problem.

BTW: The developers of Speed Download know they need to make an automatic uninstaller, but haven't yet. Instead, they posted these instructions for manual removal deep in the bowels of their website:

http://www.abtdata.com/english/software/sd/support.html

Manually uninstalling Speed Download:

There is an automated uninstaller under development. In the meantime, if you would like to uninstall Speed Download from your computer, here are some easy to follow these instructions:

Under Classic: Drag the following to the Trash:
- The Speed Download folder
- Speed Download CMM (found in: System Folder/Contextual Menus)
- Speed Download Browser Plugin (found in: System Folder/Internet Plug-Ins)
- Speed Download Preferences (found in: System Folder/Preferences)

Under MacOS X: Drag the following to the Trash:
- The Speed Download folder
- Speed Download Browser Plugin (found in: User/Library/Internet Plug-Ins)
- Speed Download Preferences (found in: User/Library/Preferences)

- Open your browser's preferences, and go into the 'File Helpers' section.
- Delete all entries that contain Speed Download.
- Quit and restart your browser.

Back