Internet Explorer will NOT play QuickTime

TommyWillB

Registered
I've read a few different threads that touch on this subject, but all degrade into rants about why the person is using Internet Explorer... If possible I'd like to avoid that here.

Basically I seem to be one of VERY few people who are having problems with Internet Explorer and plugins... In my case I'm having trouble with QuickTime specifically. The Apple troublshooting does nothing to help. (It is mostly OS 9 specific.)

Here are some things that may be clues:
  1. When I first got OS X I moved IE out of the Applications folder and into a sub-foler called Internet... (But I can't remember if QuickTime ever worked...)
  2. When IE was updated Software Update failed to work until I move IE back into the root of the Applications folder
  3. When I was on QuickTime 5.x I had the Pro version... When I switched to 6.x it blew my Pro license key away.
  4. My /Library/Internet Plug-Ins folder had 2 QT plugins:
    - QuickTime Plugin.plugin
    - QuickTime Plugin.plugin.OLD (I just deleted this now)
  5. My /Library/Internet Plug-Ins folder a mix of root and tommywillb owners... I reset everything to tommywillb. (See below)
  6. The Interent Explorer Preferences --> File Helpers had everything configured for a QuickTime Plugin, so I changed them all to be QuickTime Plugin.plugin
    [/list=1]
    The permissions on my /Library/Internet Plug-Ins folder looks like this:
    (My ~tommwillb/Library/Internet Plug-Ins folder is empty...)
    Code:
    -rwxrwxr-x  1 tommywillb  admin     6148 May  3 16:58 .DS_Store
    drwxrwxr-x  5 tommywillb  admin      170 Aug 25  2002 DRM Plugin.bundle
    -rwxrwxr-x  1 tommywillb  admin      963 Aug 25  2002 Java Applet Plugin Enabler
    drwxrwxr-x  3 tommywillb  admin      102 Jul 27  2002 Java Applet.plugin
    drwxrwxr-x  3 tommywillb  admin      102 Feb 26 15:26 JavaPluginCocoa.bundle
    -rw-r--r--  1 tommywillb  admin   328643 Sep 17  2001 PDFViewer
    -rwxrwxr-x  1 tommywillb  admin   124595 Jan 14  2002 PluginLib
    [b]drwxrwxr-x  3 tommywillb  admin      102 Apr 28 16:20 QuickTime Plugin.plugin[/b]
    -rw-r--r--  1 tommywillb  admin    22081 Mar 14  2001 ReadMeSVGViewer.html
    -rw-r--r--  1 tommywillb  admin        0 May  3 16:53 RealPlayer Plugin
    -rw-r--r--  1 tommywillb  admin        0 May  3 16:53 RealPlayer Plugin.xpt
    -rw-r--r--  1 tommywillb  admin  2237790 Mar 14  2001 SVG Plugin
    -rw-r--r--  1 tommywillb  admin   197741 Mar 14  2001 SVGViewer.zip
    -rwxrwxr-x  1 tommywillb  admin  1089763 Feb 24 16:25 Shockwave Flash NP-PPC
    drwxrwxr-x  3 tommywillb  admin      102 Aug 25  2002 Windows Media Plugin
    -rwxrwxr-x  1 tommywillb  admin      856 Feb 24 16:07 flashplayer.xpt
    -rw-rw-r--  1 tommywillb  admin     2394 Apr 15 17:23 nsIQTScriptablePlugin.xpt

Is this enough information for anyone to help me figure out what the problem is?

At this point I don't know if this is an OS X thing, and IE thing, a permissions thing, or something else.

I don't use IE often, but I just checked it out. Quicktime movies play fine for me with IE.

The difference is, IE is set to use Quicktime Player to play the movies rather than the Quicktime Plugin. Here's the settings in the file helper:

Description: Quicktime Movie
Extension: .mov
MIME type: video/quicktime
Application: Quicktime Player
File type: MooV
File creator:TVOD
Encoding: Binary
Mac File button NOT checked
Use for incoming checked
Use for outgoing checked
(skipping download destination)
How to handle: View with Browser

...and the movies display in the browser fine.

Hope that helps

Back