Internet/Network keeps Disconnecting - Have to reboot!

mickey79

True Defiance
Ave,

I've been struggling with this problem since a while now. I have a Power Mac G5 running Panther 10.3.9, i also run an Apache Web Server on the machine to host my Websites.

While browsing the Internet, anytime the browser (I've tried Safari, Firefox, Camino, Opera, Internet Explorer) hits a page that it cannot open, leading to a 'Page Not Found' or 'Cannot Load' type of error, the entire Network on my system shuts down. I loose all Network & Internet Connection. And i have to reboot to get internet again!! It's so Annoying!! Every single time the Internet cannot open a page, it shuts down all network connections and i cannot get them back without rebooting!!

Any suggestions?

If you could tell us how you connect to the internet that would help a lot (dialup, broadband, broadband through a router etc...).

Parke said:
If you could tell us how you connect to the internet that would help a lot (dialup, broadband, broadband through a router etc...).

I use Built-in Ethernet. Connected directly to a Netgear Router, which is connected to a Cable Modem. Few months ago i was using a Symantec router, had the same problem.

In order to isolate problems, i have tried connecting Directly to the Internet, eliminating the Router completely, and i still had the same problem, so practically the Router & Networking isn't causing this. I have also tried using different Network Cables, which didn't effect anything.

There are lots of computers connected to this network using the Router... none of them have this problem except my Power Mac G5.

Thanks.

is the NIC that connects you to the internet the only one that's up?

i do a lot of network related stuff, and i learned it's always a good idea to only enable the interface(s) you're using.. so i configured a long list of 'locations', one for each situation.
i've found that some software gets confused if there's multiple nic's up.
i never had problems with browsers though

Is your internet a static IP or is it dynamic? I feel like it might have something to do with that. On another line of thought, do you lose network services like apple sharing or bonjour or just the internet?

I only have one NIC up, and that's the one that connects to the Internet.

IP is static. I host my websites on my G5. The mac is networked with some windows computers so the entire network goes down when this happens. Internet & Intranet.

Back