Internet/Router/ISP problems, sorry not sure where to post!

Masamune

Registered
Hi, we are currently having quite strange problems with our broadband.
Our router/modem (netgear DG843G V.2 ((i think)) tells us that it is connected to the internet and transmitting.
Tiscali, our ISP tells us that we are recieving in the internet, and the wireless laptop is getting a connection to Netgear through Airport, now i'm not sure this is the name of the server we connected to before it went down, it's one of the stupid thing you see everyday and then once you have to remember you can't.
I am currently using Dial-up which has worked fine so far although i was only just reminded we still have it so i have only just got on.
I have tried hooking a mac straight into the router and it doesn't make any difference, the Safari Netword thingy can't fix it and nooone i know has any idea of whats going on.
Help!
This is really weird so any help you can give will be appreciated heartily.
Thanks

Masamune

I'm sorry Masamune but I'm really having a lot of trouble working out what you've got plugged in where, and where the problem is occurring. Can you try and clarify that a little?

Masamune, the most common problem is keeping your
old "network" prefs in dial-up configuration. Look at your
network prefpane. It should be something like this:

Loc: Automatic
Show Net status: Built-in e-net
Show Port: Built-in e-net
Show Built-in e-net:
...TCP tab: Using DHCP
... Appletalk tab: Appletalk active

That should fix you up.

Symphonix:
The netgear router is plugged into an upstairs bedroom.
The laptop is downstairs getting the internet wirelessly.
The only thing that is always plugged into the router is my Xbox.
We think the problem is somewhere between Tiscali and our router because someone has tried to log into our router and informed us that is offline but Tiscali have told us that it is infact, from their side, working.
The router is telling us it's connected and still sending out a signal, but we are only connecting to Netgear where we used to connect to Ballykiss.

Albloom:
I don't know how to change all those things, but we haven't changed the dial up information since we switched to broadband, and nothing changed on the day of the broadband going down, so we don't know whats happened it doesn't appear to be previous settings.

I hope this helps!

Back