Internet Security - getting the wrong message!!!

Yoni

Registered
I have just ordered an Apple imac switching over from a Windows PC for the 1st time.

A big reason for the change was too many viruses on my PC. I thought, "hey this Tiger looks good" and i took the chance, knowing that Apple (touch wood) isn't as much of a target for hackers, viruses, etc...

SHOCK!!! There is no Norton Internet Security available, it doesn't run with Tiger!

Anyone out there know how long updates usually take to make? A guess will do. lol. Or what are my alternatives? I need a comprehensive internet security solution are there any other packages out there that are good?

I think that Apple (or someone, maybe symantec), are sending the wrong signals to virus writers - shouting hey, attack me. :(

Oh, Yoni. You have no idea the floodgates you've just opened.

Edit: Boy. Wasn't that a whole lot of help from me?

At the moment, both Symantec and McAfee are working on their Tiger versions. Symantec also has a bit of egg on its face after releasing a virus definition file that gave off false positives. Users also report it slowing down their computers a LOT. Of the large PC security companies, that leaves only Sophos. I can't vouch for it though.

Don't hesitate to return your Norton to Symantec. If you bought it with the understanding that you could use it with OS X and it doesn't, they have to cough up your dough.

At the moment, you shouldn't be too, too worried about viruses and malware. If there is anything in the wild at the moment, it's not been spotted. There are no known viruses. There are a few known trojans, but nothing that can attack you remotely. Do be careful though. Avoid warez. Don't install anything you are sure about. Update your Mac and keep your software patched. Update your Norton (or whatever you choose to go with) as soon as you are able. And come back here if you have any concerns about possible compromises.

Andrew Adamson said:
Oh, Yoni. You have no idea the floodgates you've just opened.

LMAO, yes I'm waiting now with baited breath......

To help you with your question. You don't need Norton Antivirus.

There are the grand total of zero viruses for OS X.

As OS X is written totally differently to Windows OS any viruses you get for Windows will just sit in your inbox, looking a bit lost.

There is no spyware to worry about either.

Yes, it is possible that a virus will be written, and as Mac's become more popular again, there are going to be plenty of people trying no doubt. But, at the moment, rest easy.

Its also worth mentioning that the people who are insisting the most that there WILL be a virus, and that its nearly here are the Anti-Virus Software companies.

Scare tactics generally always work.

Never use Norton anything on a Mac. If you do, then you are begging for problems. Norton Mac products either are potentially damaging or not needed. There is no current reason to use anything on a Mac other than its own firewall or a router firewall--plus WPA for wireless security. You can use Little Snitch for entertainment.

Yoni, I would strongly recommend that you take everything said above with a big grain of salt. The prevailing opinion on this board is that because Mac is unaffected by viruses, it is unaffected by malware too. I think that is wishful thinking at best, but really it is irresponsible and foolish. I would recommend that you make the investment in an anti-virus package of your choice if for no other reason than it gives you piece of mind. The value of the package will increase as the number of threats increases. And again, keep your machine and all of the programs you use fully patched. Watch for any strange behaviors and ask for help if you encounter anything strange. Good luck and enjoy the switch. Aside from a few minor problems, the change for me was a breeze.

It does appear that there may be some threats at least from within LANs given your other recent post. I didn't have time to read the link you posted carefully, but it is interesting. While I, for example, don't always state "the" view carefully, I think the general view, rightly or wrongly, is that there is nothing going around currently that can attack a Mac over the internet. It will be interesting to see how things develop over time. Personally, I am not even close to worried enough to use any kind of protection except for a firewall and WPA.

Back