Internet, Server 2000 and an ibook

Paul C

Registered
I have an ibook and want to use our windows 2000 ISA server for internet access, I have got my ibook hooked up via cat5 but don't know how to do it. :(

ok, this should be straight forward, but can youu please tell me a bit more:

1. how is your Windows 2000 server connected to the internet?
2. you say that your iBook is connected by Cat5, but connected to what?

1. It's connected via ADSL via a firewall

2. I've got a cat5 cable to a network point, usually just use 'connect to network' and connect to my PC to transfer files but appart from that I've never connected to a windows network or macine for anythin else :rolleyes:

ok, if I have this straight...

You connect the iBook to a network wall socket using the CAT5 cable & I assume that the Windows server does the same i.e. it is on the same network. You say that the server connects to ADSL via a firewall. A hardware one or a software on on the server? Eitherway, should not be much of an issue. I think that all you need to do is configure the Windows server to be a DHCP server and the router for the iBook.

1. Press START then SETTINGS, CONTROL PANEL and select ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS
2. in the left tabs, select WINDOWS COMPONENTS and in the list look for NETWORKING SERVICES - highlight it and select DETAILS
3. look for DYNAMIC HOST CONFIGURATION PROTOCOL (mine is 3rd in the list) and select the checkbox next to it.
4. press OK all the way out and it will install the service, and you will need to restart the server to make it active.
5. Once restarted, you then configure the iBook to use DHCP as its TCP source and you specify the server's IP address as the router if it has not done so automatically.

Sorry, I had forgotten to ask if you are on OS 9 or X. The last task is TCP/IP control panel for OS 9 or SYSTEM PREFERENCES/NETWORK for OS X

Simply enabling DHCP won't enable any routing, NAT, or other gateway services on the Win2k machine. All it will potentially allow the Win2k machine to do is to provide IP addresses and some other information to the iBook.

Instead, with the default tools he'd need to set up Internet Connection Sharing (ICS), though that may not be possible depending on his setup (you need two NICs). (NAT would possibly work, as would bridging connections if his ISP supports handing out multiple IPs, though I don't believe this is supported natively until WinXP/Win2k3 server)

Paul, when you say you have a "network point", what do you mean? Is it a router/firewall? A wireless access point? A switch or hub?

It almost sounds like you may not need to use the Win2k machine at all - if the Win2k machine connects to the Internet through the router/firewall, it's very possible that the firewall will serve as the iBook's gateway as well.

If you have to run special software on your PC to "log in" to the DSL network, see if you can configure your firewall to log in automatically. If the router/firewall has multiple ports, you should be able to plug both your PC and your iBook into it, set both to obtain their IP addresses via DHCP, and both should be online.

Back