Internet sharing / Airtunes dead end

easterhay

little green rosetta
Aloha - I'm using Internet Sharing between a G5 iMac (10.4.8) and a G4 iBook (10.3.9). I take the signal into the iMac via built in ethernet and then distribute it to the iBook via Airport. I do it that way because sometimes I like to work on the iBook in another room of the house.

I have an Airport Express base station which i wanted to plug into the hi-fi in my living room so I could listen to my iTunes collection over Airtunes, but when I try to set up a network to do this from the iMac I get a message telling me that I am using my Airport to share internet, and if I want to do the Airtunes thang, I'll have to go to ethernet only for internet.

Is it true that I can do one or the other, but not both, or am I missing someting really obvious? As usual.

EDIT: Also we cannot send or receive emails using Opera on the iBook. Is there something I have to switch on in the sharing pane of Sys Prefs to allow this to go ahead?

Cheers Maccers.

Good bump. Never did find a solution. I now go internet-airport-both macs, rather than sharing via BigMac. I may get another Airport station to boost the signal in another wing of 'Hay mansions and hook in the hi-fi at the same time.

On a related note, any advice on how I can make the MyBook ext HDD I have plugged into the iMac accessible over the network? It's got most of my music on it now.

Back