internet sharing in 10.2 Jag?

kenaroni

Registered
Have any of you using OSX 10.2 had success using the new internet sharing feature found in the Sharing control panel? For my little home network, I've been using "Brickhouse" on an iMac to do net sharing under 10.1. Well I updated to 10.2, hoping things wouldn't get 'broken'. But Brickhouse failed to share anymore, so I quit it and started up the internet share feature in 10.2. It seemed like <b>that</b> should've been working, but I couldn't even log into the iMac from the other Macs. It kept telling me my user/pass was invalid or some such. I even reformatted the drive and started from a clean slate with fresh 10.2, to no avail. The iMac itself gets internet just fine. I'm not technical enough dig into OSX system files and fix network problems, so I stayed up til 3:00am to revert everything back to 10.1 (lest I catch hell from my family) Ugghhh - Coffee, do your stuff....

Kenaroni.:confused:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kmastri/

The internet sharing in 10.2 works fantastic for me. Just tried it out and used it last night. For the 10.2 machine, I setup a new Location under Networks -- turned on the modem and the Ethernet jack. Kept the modem for my dialup, and set the Ethernet to 192.168.0.1, subnet 255.255.255.0. For the iBook wanting to connect to the Internet via the share, get it on the network, then set it to 192.168.0.x, where x is anything other than 1. Gateway is 192.168.0.1, and voila!

Hi DrHogie - your setup sounds pretty similar to mine, ibook hooked up to G4 connected via modem? I tried your method and couldn't make it work unfortunately. Can you clarify a couple of things? I've not got a router or anything, just an ethernet cable connecting the two Macs.

When you write <b>For the iBook wanting to connect to the Internet via the share, get it on the network</b>, do you mean mount the disk or just connect it to the ethernet cable? And when you say <b>Gateway is 192.168.0.1</b>, is that the router, or some other setting - I can't seem to find <b>Gateway</b>? The two Macs can see eachother on the network, so I'm nearly there, but I can't jump the final hurdle...

Thanks for any info - CC

10.2 has it´s OWN router.
You get it working, if you do like this.

Plugin in the ethernetcable from where your internet comes into your uplink in your hub. Plugin the "host" computer in port 1 on your hub. In the network controlpanel choose "Network Port Configurations" Add another Built-in Ethernet. (exept for the one you had there before, you must keep the old one also)
Set IP adress in that configuration to 192.168.150.1
Subnet Mask:255.255.255.0
Router:192.168.150.1
DNS Server: The ones your ISP provided you with.
Turn on Internet Sharing in the Sharing controlpanel and check the "Share the connenction with other computers on built in ethernet"

On the "client" machine
IP:192.168.150.2
Subnet Mask:255.255.255.0
Router:192.168.150.1
DNS Server: The ones your ISP provided you with.
check the "Share the connenction with other computers on built in ethernet"

Voila! Now it should work. I don´t know if you have to restart but I don´t think you have too.

The internet is much faster than when I used geeRoute.

Thanks Martinb - I actually got it working in the end without using a hub, just linking the two Macs together with an ethernet cable, connecting to the internet and then changing the Ethernet port of the iBook to DHCP - the connected Mac spawns off an IP address to the iBook, the router address is set automatically and the emails started rolling in!

Most satisfying ;-)

CC

Stupid me, I don't think I ever bothered to create a second connection in the network control panel. No wonder I couldn't get the internet sharing to work with my Macs upstairs. I'll give it a try again. Thanks for everybodys help - kenaroni

Back