Internet sharing via Airport

Romendo

I have local network that my Mac mini is connected to. Its address is 192.168.0.9. It has an internet connection through the LAN (gateway is 192.168.0.1).

Now I want to share this connection via the built-in Airport card. I found a few articles explaining this. So I enable Internet Sharing from Built-In Ethernet to Airport. This works fine with an open network. I can ping from the Mac to the Windows computer.

However, once I enable WEP and enter a key, the Windows computer just can't connect. I started using Apple's recommendation of using a 5 character string for a 40-bit key. Does not work. Same with a 13 character string for a 128-bit key.

I also tried using a hex key with and without a preceeding $. So far this only works with "normal" ad-hoc networks but not with Internet Sharing.

Thanks for your input.

My post won't be much of help for you, but my suggestion would be to get a cheap netgear or d-link router for this purpose. The solution you chose is not the safest but cheapest. I am surprised you can use WEP with apples ad-hoc mode. But you will miss many other security features that routers offer plus you won't need to have your Mac mini to be on so your windows box will be able to go online.

The Windows box is just there for some low-traffic file serving. The need to connect to the Internet was to be able to keep it up-to-date. It won't be on all the time. Hence, I do not need a better solution. Since Internet Sharing gives me the option to set the WEP key one would expect it to work.

I guess even Apple could not get it right when it comes to wireless networking. It took me forever to figure out that hex keys are entered by a preceeding $. And even that is not always required.

Zammy-Sam said:
My post won't be much of help for you, but my suggestion would be to get a cheap netgear or d-link router for this purpose.

Zammy-Sam, I have such a purpose. Would you be so kind and tell me the models you can recommand (or anyone else please). I am living in Costa Rica and need to buy a router in the States. I would prefer a cheap one you mentioned to connect my ISDN Terminal with USB port, to a PB Pismo and a PC XP. I need recommendations. Also, if I want to go wireless, I need to buy Airport for the Mac and what for the PC?

Thank you kindly,

asana

Back