Internet Sharing with XP

decades

Registered
Greetings!

I'm new to this forum, and this is my first post (and my reason for joining). Basically, I have an iBook G4 running Mac OS/X and a home PC running Windows XP. The Windows PC is connected to the internet via broadband. I also have a crossover cable.

My intention is to network the two computers together so that my iBook can use the internet at the same time as the Windows PC. I managed to get it working twice last night, fiddling with the 'Set up a home or small office network' wizard in Windows XP. I am not sure how I managed to get it to work, because I tried every possible option until I could connect to the internet on my iBook.

However, when I turned off both computers and rebooted them (to see if the connection would still work) it didn't, and now I can't get the internet on my iBook again.

I'm aware that I don't have a router, and that this is a fragile way of creating a network, but I know it works, but I cannot find an easy tutorial anywhere on the internet. Every site I seem to come across talks of wireless networking, networking with a router and file sharing.

If anybody has any idea what I'm trying to do, then I'd really appreciate some direction or support on the matter. It's really testing my patience, because if I manually enter an IP address (i.e. 192.168.0.7) on my iBook once the LAN was assigned itself the IP 192.168.0.1, the 'Network Status' message in OS/X tells me that I'm connected to the internet through an ethernet connection.

Before I start to waffle, please help! =)

OK, I have this setup at my house. On the XP machine, locate the connection that has the internet access on it. (right click on my network places and choose properties) Find the connection and right click on it and select properties. Click the advanced tab and check the box that enables you to share the internet connection with other computers on the network. On the Mac, under network utility, select the option to use DHCP (automatic) rather than manual. On the XP machine, go to the network connection that you connect the crossover cable to and manually give it an IP of 192.168.0.1
The mac should see that 192.168.0.1 is a "router" and get a DHCP adress from that. Mine is set up that way and always works perfectly. Hope this helps,

Thanks a lot for the reply. I've tried this before, but even though my LAN connection appears on the XP machine with the IP address 192.168.0.1, my iBook doesn't seem to see this. It assigns itself a default 169.254.253.234 IP adress with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. It doesn't assign a router address under the automatic setting. Both computers have their Firewalls disabled.

Again, I got this working last night by using the 'Set up a home or small office network' wizard in Windows XP over and over again until it worked. There must be an easier way, or a reason why it won't work the first time around...

mrcarson2 said:
OK, I have this setup at my house. On the XP machine, locate the connection that has the internet access on it. (right click on my network places and choose properties) Find the connection and right click on it and select properties. Click the advanced tab and check the box that enables you to share the internet connection with other computers on the network. On the Mac, under network utility, select the option to use DHCP (automatic) rather than manual. On the XP machine, go to the network connection that you connect the crossover cable to and manually give it an IP of 192.168.0.1
The mac should see that 192.168.0.1 is a "router" and get a DHCP adress from that. Mine is set up that way and always works perfectly. Hope this helps,

Thanx, fixed mine ;)

Back