internet through LAN

aicul

Registered
Hello,

I am attempting to share my internet connection through Ethernet however I am encountering problems.

I have set internet sharing on my mini and on my iMac in preferences/network the status shows that internet is available through Ethernet.

However, when I try to use Safari there obviously is a problem and the browser times-out and activates network diagnostics. The diagnostic tool does not resolve the problem.

Can anyone suggest some ideas as my different tests have not yielded anything positive.

Thanks

Your connection to the internet is by a router or by a modem?
Because if your connection is with a router, you have to put in the network options the router ip.

Actually its by wifi from my brother that lives next door. A he uses a PC (ugh!) connected to a DSL line.

:confused: I'm not sure what you imply by a Ethernet crossover cable. But I think I am. It is plugged in at each end on the macs and has no other connections.

Thanks billbaloney that provided some good ground-up information. My macs are the type that identify cross-over cables so this issue is not really an issue in my case.

What surprises me is that the iMac I share internet to states in Network Preferences
Built-in Ethernet is currently active and has an IP address 192.168.2.25. You are connected to the internet via built-in Ethernet.
So the mac knows its ok but Safari cannot browse...

Make sure that you have the DNS nameservers listed in your TCP/IP settings if it's not being provided dynamically through DHCP.

:( Maybe I should have stated this earlier. I am no network wizard, so terms such as cross-over, DNS etc, actually don't mean too much to me. So after a little search here is my discoveries on the DNS nameservers.

The DNS nameservers, in network preferences, are provided by DHCP on both Macs. Also note that internet arrives through wifi in Mac mini and I want to LAN it to a iMac. So if the Mac mini does not need DNS nameservers to browse the web comming from wifi, why should the iMac need it?

But the Mac Mini is using the DNS name servers to brows the internet, that is why it works.

The Domain Name Service (DNS) nameservers resolve an IP address of a web server to the recognizable URL address used by that server (http://www.macosx.com, for example). If the IP addresses of those nameservers are not configured on the Mac mini trying to access the Internet, you won't be able to see "http://www.macosx.com" if you type in that address in your browser on that particular Mac mini. You would actually have to type in the IP address (http://82.165.177.2) on the browser to actually view the site.

wait.

The mac mini recieve internet from wifi. I can browse on the mini using safari. the mac mini is set to share the internet through Ethernet

The imac indicates it is connected to the internet by ethernet. But safari will not browse the internet.

I am having problem son the iMac.

OK so you're going to have to check the DNS settings on the iMac. Is this iMac also receiving the IP through DHCP?

Back