internet trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

pen-helm

Registered
Ever since my house switched to Time-Warner cable internet, I've been having trouble.

For example, at:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Media-/80073/i.html
many of the images are just little question marks (safari couldn't load them.)

Also sometimes pages never load, it just sits and spins forever.

But a Windows machine in the same house has no trouble.

Not sure what to do.

I tried dialing up Earthlink, and I seemed to still have trouble, so maybe it's not Time-Warner.

Those images are .jpg files. There is no reason that Safari cannot load them. Therefore, the problem lies with your setup. However, we know nothing about your setup. Rather than a back-and-forth that goes on for about 3 weeks, it might be easier if you ran and saved a profile from System Profile. Attach the profile so that we can see what you have installed.

Don't quote me on this, but I think eBay uses Adobe Flash on some of their pages and images. Does the machine in question have Flash installed? If not, this could be the culprit.

Attached: my system profile. It is large, and I'm afraid I had to zip it, as this form would not permit me to attach an .rtf.

Attachments

• system profile.zip
    41.5 KB · Views: 2
Attached: my system profile. It is large, and I'm afraid I had to zip it, as this form would not permit me to attach an .rtf.
Two things jump out at me:
  1. You appear to still be using Windows Media Player 7. Microsoft has abandoned it and recommends that you use Flip4Mac instead.
  2. You are still using Safari 3.0.4. Although you have MacOSX 10.4.11, you probably do not have the latest patches. You should run Software Update to install them and the latest bundled software for MacOSX 10.4.11 including Safari 4.1.3.
I can't guarantee that addressing the two issues identified above will fix the problem that prompted your OP. However, I can guarantee that addressing these two issues will fix other problems.

Software Update found nothing to install.

The Flip4Mac won't install, and neither will the Safari 4 for Tiger I found on Apple's web site. It says, "This volume already has a newer version of Safari installed." My Safari thinks it is 4.1.3. I don't know why the profile says version 3.

As for Flip4Mac, you will find a link to download Flip4Mac 2.3.8.1 on the developer's website. As for your version of Safari, your System Profile clearly shows that you have Safari 3.0.4 installed. Do you know of anything that can account for this discrepancy?

I installed the Flip4Mac, but it didn't help.

I don't know why it says Safari 3, but if you can tell me how to uninstall Safari, I will reinstall 4.

Don't uninstall anything. Go into your global Library folder. Locate the Receipts folder inside. Here, you will find a .pkg receipt file for every version of every application that you ever installed on your computer. Drag Safari4.1.3Tiger.pkg to your Desktop. Rerun Software Update.

For the time being restore the .pkg receipt file to its previous location. How many Safari receipt files do you have and what are their names?

Hi,
I have Safari 4.1.3 installed on my 10.4 Mac - Profiler reports 3.0.4 for me, too.
just FYI. All the .pkg receipts from 3.0 to 4.1.3 are there in the Receipts folder, too.

I have these .pkg files with the following creation dates:
SafariUpdate-2.0.1

Safari

Safari31UpdPPC
Safari311UpdPPC
Safari312UpdPPC
Safari3.2Ti

Safari3.2.1Ti
Safari3.2.3Ti
Safari4.0Tiger
Safari4.0.2Tiger
Safari4.0.3Tiger

Safari4.0.4Tiger
Safari4.1Tiger
Safari4.1.1Tiger
Safari4.1.2Tiger

Safari4.1.3Tiger

I have these .pkg files with the following creation dates:
gsahli had already satisfied me that your version of Safari was up-to-date for Tiger. Following his post, I checked my own and found that I have the same Safari receipts that you have. The version of Safari is clearly not the problem.

This is a real head-scratcher. Your browser doesn't properly display .jpg files. There are few more ubiquitous graphic files than .jpg. Which application do you have associated with .jpg files?

Do a File/Get Info on a .jpg file and note the application in the Opens with: popup menu.

Well, I tried switching to OpenDNS and it seems to work now. I will continue to test it, and report back to you. Thank you for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back