Internet via Ethernet adaptor not Airport.

garyvdh

Registered
Hi All,

I read through a gazillion posts and threads and couldn't find any info - so I really hope I am not duplicating.

The love of my life is my G4 Power book - and have an internet connection through an iburst 'radio link' card that I plug in when I need it.

At home I have linksys 4port wireless router. with some pc's (windows-junk) connected.

Now the problem is when I switch my airport on - my g4 immediately disables my internet access through the iburst and is trying to establish it through the airport. (It does not disconnect the connection to iburst though) So as soon as I switch off the airport again it carries on emailing etc.

Can I stop it from doing this? (trying to access via the airport)

(OH I forgot to add - I go to a site about 3 times a week where I access the internet through the airport - but I don't mind making a few changes each time I have to alter the access point/path)

Thanks in advance.

Yours
Gary

:( - -

Hi All,

I see there were a number of people looking at this problem but no comments.

Anything would help at this stage - I have tried a number of options but all to no avail.

Thanks

Gary

Go to System Prefs/Network

The lower drop down called "Show". Choose "Network Port Configurations".

You can drag these into the order you want to use them. Or check the tick boxes to turn the various connections on and off.

Thanks - but that didn't do the job.

What that does is it stops the airport from connecting to my home network completely and/or the ethernet wireless from connecting to the Internet.

I would like to be able to connect to the Internet via the ethernet/wireless modem and the home network via the airport. (At the same time - not alternatively as it is now)

thanks again
Gary

Salve Gary,

Appears as a simple routing problem, you should just change the gateway and be happy again. Don't know the Mac-way of doing this, but if you aren't afraid of the command line, ... keep reading.

While logged in as an privileged user (apart from the real sense of being the proud owner of a pbG4, one that can become root), with your airport inactive (so you can learn the gateway address you will need later on), fire up a terminal (found in Applications/Utilities) and enter the following su and route commands (you must be root to alter routing table, perhaps you can try using "sudo route ..." if you dislike/can't become root via su):

pizmo:~ wosniack$ su
Password:
pizmo:/Users/wosniack root# route -n get default
gateway: 1.2.3.4
Pay attention to yours above iburst gateway address, you will use it instead of 1.2.3.4.

Now turn on your airport and test your connection (and see the problem one last time ;~) Repeat the same previous command typed in your terminal, and look at your new default route. This will show your airport gateway.

pizmo:/Users/wosniack root# route -n get default
gateway: 5.6.7.8
Pay attention to yours airport gateway address, similarly.

Now change your routing table to use your previous iburst link gateway:

pizmo:/Users/wosniack root# route change default 1.2.3.4

And repeat the test of your connection to the internet, it's show time.

Ok, as a last immediate resort, try reading "man route" or "man sudo" and taste the command line, it's a bit strange but once you get the picture of behind the scenes, it's allways there.'~..MacOSX interesting is, Late I am.~..;

I don't think you can have two network connections from the same machine at the same time. Not an expert on this though!!

When I get home with my laptop I use the airport to join the home network. This network is connected to the internet. Why do you need the iburst connection? Is it faster?

Hi,

Yes Ibursts is (for south africa) nice and fast.

but -

I move around a lot during the day with my G4. At home my wife works on the windows machine. Printer, scanner all connected to it. So when I get home I often need to print our docs, give her info for the books etc. so I 'need' (actually want) to be able to just switch on and do that stuff while still being on-line.

If it is not possible then its OK I can just continue to work as I have been.

I just thought the G4 should be able to do this.

Thanks
Gary

gee now here's a new hassle.

I get into terminal, type su
at password I just get 'sorry'
back to the prompt.

In mac I can get into admin etc etc etc. no password hassles (I know my passwords)

is there a default su password - I have not been su before.
thanks
Gary

Good, feel as a router... 2 options for you to route ;~)

Try the "sudo route"... prefix every command that wanna run as root with "sudo" will do the trick (password prompted each time...);

Or make sure your user are listed in the "wheel" group, so it can run "su":

pizmo:/Users/wosniack root# grep wheel /etc/group
wheel:*:0:root,wosniack

Again, not sure how to do it the Mac-way, but ... here we go.

I suppose your power user is named "gary", so replace accordingly where appropriate.

Simply put you should append ",gary" on a line that starts with "wheel" in the system /etc/group file. Thats our simple job, if you feel confident you can do that, go ahead. But wait, some warning: don't mess with tabs or spaces or anything else inside this group system file, just put ",gary" at the end of the line.

Had you vi editor or perl?

pizmo:~ wosniack$ which vi
/usr/bin/vi

pizmo:~ wosniack$ which perl
/usr/bin/perl

If you have both, and hurried, just do

pizmo:~ wosniack$ sudo perl -pi -e 's/^(wheel.+$)/$&,gary/m' /etc/group

And believe it, job complete... Or keep browsing ;~)

== using vi ==

pizmo:~ wosniack$ sudo vi /etc/group

After you enter your Gary user super secret password, you get the vi great editor, perhaps not what you are used to, its a bit different:
1. use the cursors to position till the end of the line starting with "wheel",
2. press exactly "i,gary" <Esc> ":wq"
(don't type the "", and "gary" is who will become member of the "wheel" group, the "i" puts vi in "insert mode" which you exit with the <Esc>key; the ":wq" says "command write and quit" to vi)
and your job is done, you returned to the familiar command prompt.

== using perl ==

pizmo:~ wosniack$ cp /etc/group group.038

pizmo:~ wosniack$ perl -pi -e 's/^(wheel.+$)/$&,gary/m' group.038

pizmo:~ wosniack$ grep wheel group.038
wheel:*:0:root,wosniack,gary

Here we did a small test, working in a local bkup.

Now, the real work:

pizmo:~ wosniack$ grep wheel /etc/group
wheel:*:0:root,wosniack

pizmo:~ wosniack$ sudo perl -pi -e 's/^(wheel.+$)/$&,gary/m' /etc/group

pizmo:~ wosniack$ grep wheel /etc/group
wheel:*:0:root,wosniack,gary

== testing ==

Try "su" command, should now succeed.

pizmo:/Users/wosniack root# whoami
root

Last words: the perl command is very sensitive, type exactly.

Back