Internet

caitiemajor

Registered
I bought a Mac computer (model number A1005) on ebay. The computer all seems to be in good working order so I don't think there is a problem with the computer itself, but I am unable to connect to the internet. I have tried a wireless connection which works on a PC, but the wireless didn't even light up and respond when it was plugged into the computer. The mac could see the wireless option when the network assistant opened, but then asked me for a password. To the owners knowledge there is no password, but when I tried the only option it would have been had there been one, in came up as incorrect. I assumed there may have just been a problem with this connection so I too my laptop to work where the password was definitely correct and still came up as an error, incorrect password. Again, the computer could see the connection when it searched for it, but it wouldn't allow me to connect. Could there be a problem with my settings or does this sound like a problem with the computer? What can I do?

Hmm... Okay, I think we need a little more (or different) information. Under the Apple menu you should find an "About this Mac" (or similar) item. It gives you some information on the system version installed as well as the hardware. If it's Mac OS X, a "more information" button would give you the system profiler, which gives you a loooooooooot of info on the hardware and system software.

Your external USB wireless adapter probably only works on Windows, sadly, but maybe the Mac already _has_ wireless? (AirPort card.)

As what fryke wrote, but perhaps there is a simple answer:

The mac could see the wireless option when the network assistant opened, but then asked me for a password.

The wireless connection--the base station as it were--may be password protected. If you are randomly trying to connect with a wireless network, you will find that most people password protect them to prevent people like me from sucking their bandwidth dry. :D

When you go to work, try hooking up an ethernet cable to your presumably portable computer and seeing if you can connect--through internet connect.

--J.D.

Thanks so much for helping so far!

I opened up the 'More info' section within 'About this mac'. In the network section in the contents list, if I click on Airport Card the following information is displayed.

Wireless card tyoe: Airport
Wireless card locale: USA
Wireless card firmware version: 9.52
Current wireless network: wireless network not available.

Does this help in determining the problem at all?

Thanks again!

It isn't joined to the network yet. If you click on the menubar, towards upper right corner an icon that looks like a cone with stripes (aka the airport symbol), it will show the AirPort options... scanning, available networks. Can you see the network you want to join?
Are you 100 % sure there is no password for it? Try joining it again...

Here is a pictorial example of what we are writing about. In OS 10.5+ it will actually show a padlock icon next to the password protected base stations in the apartment I am currently infesting. In the earlier OS, it would not show the padlock. I would have to, therefore, click on the open network--"ghcvisitor" in this example--or have the password for one of the others.

I normally connect by cable, so I cannot depict connecting by wireless.

If there are no networks in range, the icon will show that as well--with a list of . . . well . . . nothing!

--J.D.

Attachments

• Airport.jpg
    Airport.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 4
Back