invisible files

locash

Registered
On my friends mac (os10.2) when i click on finder and view files he has all these random single files. most are half opacity. and files like .ds store & .Trashes. Desktop DB, Desktop DF, .hidden, mach_kernel......... On my mac i dont see any of those. i try and delete some of these random files in his finder and says you cant delete these, owned by root etc...
how do i turn off the feature to see invisible files or files which cant be deleted?

He may have used a program to show the hidden files in the finder. Just reverse the process.

he could have done this thru the terminal as well. most of the invisible files are that way for a reason - so you won't delete them and screw the system up. there are a few, like ds_store, that can be safely deleted because they will regenerate themselves.

deleting invisible files is not some magic trick to efficiency or saving disk space.

and of course, you can always boot into os 9 and see them all and do what you like with them. it's gonna be your headache when you mess with the wrong one.

I dont want to mess with them or delete them. i want to change it so i cannot see them. there a bunch of them and it makes it look super sloppy and messy.

Is there a way to turn this off? to not see these files?
thanks

cool thanks.
funny that you cant just turn a setting on or off right in the finder. i wonder what made those files be visible.

Back