Invisible folder "usr"

bopsi

Registered
"usr" system folder for some reason became visible. How to make it invisible as it should be by default?

Thanks for advice

If I recall correctly, you can still view it under the Terminal. For normal end users, it's not necessary to see this folder, but it's there if you do a "cd /" in the Terminal. Why do you need to see it under the Finder?

There really is no need for everyday users to see system directories like /usr and others. It just asks for more problems when they decide that it doesn't belong there and move it to another location. For advanced users that need to access those system directories, they will know how to get to them.

Now since it IS your computer, you can do whatever you want with it. As for how this is done, I'm not quite sure. I've actually never researched it since I haven't had the need to see the /usr folder unless I'm using the Terminal for whatever reason...but that's me. :D

Use one of these applications

Or use this script;

tell application "System Events" to set visible of (choose folder with invisibles) to false
tell application "Finder" to quit
delay 2
tell application "Finder" to activate

Paste the above lines into an "/Applications" > "AppleScript" > "Script Editor.app" document and click "Run". Substitute "true" for "false" to reverse the change.

Eric

You can't just add a period to a file name, you'll get a warning that a name beging with a dot "." is reserved for the system, and not allowed.

Do Not use the program from Erics link;

http://www.ragesw.com/if_faq.php

(no offense Eric)

This is an old program from 2002 and written for 10.1

nixgeek said:
If I recall correctly, you can still view it under the Terminal. For normal end users, it's not necessary to see this folder, but it's there if you do a "cd /" in the Terminal. Why do you need to see it under the Finder?

Nix.. it's the other way round,
He wants it to go away, so he can't see it...

jb

Oh you're right...for some reason I kept seeing "in" before the "visible." My mistake. :p

Back