"iOffice" almost confirmed

macosXrumors

Registered
For those who haven't guessed yet what's next after Keynote, here's what my latest sources report and some guesses about the Apple's branded office suite rumor I had initially posted in July 2002.

report here

I think it's pretty obvious that this is what Apple is doing. Keynote against Powerpoint and Safari against Internet Explorer. I would say Apple just wants to cut all ties with Microsoft. With all this happening, the next year or two there is going to definitely be some tables turning. First is the hardware. Despite what people say, the G4 is on it's way out. I think Apple will go with either the 970 or G5, assuming it's released. With all this new software they are releasing, I really don't think they would go with anything but PPC, when the software would have to be rewrote and released for any other platform. And maybe the purpose of all this new software is to act as a distraction from the hardware ... and then during the last 5 minutes of the July MacWorld Jobs will introduce the dual G5/970 2Ghz PowerMac. :) But in all reality, Apple is a company interested in making money and making the best possible products. They know where they stand and they know what they have to do to get ahead. They've probably been testing new processors for the past couple years and are just waiting it for it to be just right. OK, I'll end my rant now. :p

Originally posted by bjurusik
With all this new software they are releasing, I really don't think they would go with anything but PPC, when the software would have to be rewrote and released for any other platform.

Actually, this is not true. They would be able to cross-compile, use "fat binaries" to support multiple chip architectures.

I doubt it will be called "iOffice" since Keynote is not free, and the other apps (if they come) most likely will also not be free, and all the iApps are free. However, this could be done in conjunction with a new version of AppleWorks that is a little better integrated (but still just a maintenance release); AppleWorks would still be bundled with the consumer machines, and maybe the new Office-like package could be bundled with the pro machines. The lack of a full-featured word processor compatible with Word on the pro machines is on of the more common complaints of switchers, from what I hear.

iDVD is free on machines with a Superdrive, at least whatever version that was there when you bought the machine. The "not having as a free download" is done for the same reason that 10.1 was not downloadable (even though many got the upgrade CD for free one way or another): it is huge. Too huge to download, because Apple doesn't want their servers locked up with multi-hours-long badwidth-sucking downloads. It makes sens; Apple is just handling the update distribution differently. This way, your new iApps are on a separate disc, and you can install them as you wish. Since my cube is on dialup, I will most likely pay the $50 even though I can't use iDVD.

Bandwidth also COSTS, btw. Someone is paying for it, and I guess Apple would be paying themselves, as they're using akamai

Originally posted by mfsri
All iApps are not free. iDVD will be $50 :(

michael
http://osblue.com

isnt that because iDVD takes up so much space that its made on a DVD. who would download such a big program?

and anyway. if noone pays for any app. how can we expect them to develop software? if everyone pays even a small price in the end its better for all of us.
and if they made a program to charge all the iApps id be very disappointed, but i do wonder... wouldnt the outcome be to our advantage?

Originally posted by macosXrumors
For those who haven't guessed yet what's next after Keynote, here's what my latest sources report and some guesses about the Apple's branded office suite rumor I had initially posted in July 2002.

report here
In case you forgot, Apple created Keynote specifically for Steve Jobs. I don't think it was ever originally intended for the public.

Originally posted by Ricky
In case you forgot, Apple created Keynote specifically for Steve Jobs. I don't think it was ever originally intended for the public.
I have to agree. Apple's biggest selling point (currently) is compatability. If Apple were to release software that would compete with M$ Office (I mean seriously compete, not like Apple Works), Microshaft would probably not be too happy with them. That could lead to M$ not creating new versions of Office for Mac. Now before some of you let out a cheer, think about what that means.

No Office for Mac would mean that Office for Windows would (eventually) become incompatible with the current mac versions. Plus M$ would probably not allow Apple to license the needed information to make their office program compatible with the Windows version.

So all of a sudden, we are back in the 90's. Macs are viewed as incompatible systems, the average joe user wouldn't switch to Mac, Apples hardware sales plummit, and (worst case senario) apple has to shut down.

Honestly, I don't think Jobs has a death wish, nor do I think he is stupid. While there may be versions of Open Office for Mac, I don't think Apple would release one...but only time will tell.

I don't think that keynote development was intended only for internal use, even if Steve said that. I think they at least had in mind that this application would go public. As for Microsoft, I guess that Apple prefers to be independant from Microsoft and develop great converters in case MS stops Office:mac. That's why I and some of my sources believe that the keyword "Office" will be used for the name of the bundle, they'll want to show that there is an Office on Mac anyway. The name "iOffice" is actually quite unlikely because none of the appz of that bundle will start with "i". I still use it in my articles because it's the simpliest way to say "Apple branded office suite". ;)

am i the only one that thinks appleworks, on osx at least, is a terrible program? i use word, excel, and keynote...

Back in the nineties, when Microsoft Word for Windows was at version 2.0 and Microsoft Word for Macintosh was at version 5.1a? :)

Nope, bolindilly, but we all think that Keynote.app shows how Apple could create 'sexier' versions of a word processing and a spreadsheet app. Furthermore, rumour sites are providing info about the GoBe team Apple has bought some time ago. It all leads to, well, assumptions and suggestions.

Keynote was intended for the public from the beginning. Steve Jobs was just entertaining the crowd with the joke that it was made for him. And, of course, there might be some truth behind it, like him wanting a better way to present Apple's innovations.

fryke, I quite agree with what you say. But rare are the sources that sent me info about that, mentioning GoBe aquisition.

And I have something to add: these new sexy office appz don't necessary mean the death of AppleWorks, it may be renamed though.

Originally posted by Gnomo
I have to agree. Apple's biggest selling point (currently) is compatability. If Apple were to release software that would compete with M$ Office (I mean seriously compete, not like Apple Works), Microshaft would probably not be too happy with them. That could lead to M$ not creating new versions of Office for Mac. Now before some of you let out a cheer, think about what that means.

No Office for Mac would mean that Office for Windows would (eventually) become incompatible with the current mac versions. Plus M$ would probably not allow Apple to license the needed information to make their office program compatible with the Windows version.

So all of a sudden, we are back in the 90's. Macs are viewed as incompatible systems, the average joe user wouldn't switch to Mac, Apples hardware sales plummit, and (worst case senario) apple has to shut down.

Honestly, I don't think Jobs has a death wish, nor do I think he is stupid. While there may be versions of Open Office for Mac, I don't think Apple would release one...but only time will tell.

Yes but...

This is about strategy. Apple MUST take measures to ensure that they cannot be blackmailed by Microsoft again. I think Keynote (and Safari) is an indicator (from Apple to MS) that they cannot be blackmailed (as they have been in the past).

Microsoft is not likely to dump office for the Mac anytime soon. Revenues for them are still pretty good. Profits probably VERY good.

But...don't be surprised that Apple has an Ace up its sleeve that it will use if it has to.

This is not just about Office...its about things like Browsers, email, QuickTime, Rendevous, iSync.

In the past Microsoft has shown their willingness to blackmail Apple into dropping this or hobbling that to Microsoft's benefit in exchange for Office continuing to be available on the Mac platform.

They did it with Basic.
They did it with IE.
They tried it with QuickTime.

What is to stop MS from coming to Apple and saying something like "Why don't you kill iSync, in favor of some (piece of crap) we have here. If not, well, maybe we'll drop Office."

These things are strategic. Make no mistake, Keynote was a "shot over the bow" of MS. It was Steve saying..."look what we can do (whisper: if you don't think I have a Word and Excel equivalent in alpha...your nuts.)"

"These things are strategic. Make no mistake, Keynote was a "shot over the bow" of MS. It was Steve saying..."look what we can do (whisper: if you don't think I have a Word and Excel equivalent in alpha...your nuts.)""

Totally agree with that

Apple really needs Microsoft!

Most of the Win-users i know, are afraid of switching to Mac because it's something totally different. (they say, and i agree partially)

When you take Microsoft Office, Messenger, Explorer, Media Player,... away from the Mac, the Mac is not partial different anymore, but TOTALLY different. And that, i think, is not a good strategy for atracting win-users.

Originally posted by senne
When you take Microsoft Office, Messenger, Explorer, Media Player,... away from the Mac, the Mac is not partial different anymore, but TOTALLY different. And that, i think, is not a good strategy for atracting win-users.

attractin win users? maybe ur right!
but. the only useful ms app is Office (for now)
the rest are either useless or cheap apps for me.
Internet explorer is very bad in every sense. safety, speed, interface...
i like iChat more than messenger for a number of reasons. i use messenger though because most of my friends (using a pc) have msn!
Media player? Quicktime is wayyyy better. but again it might seem useful sometimes because some files that i donwload from the internet are only found in media player format, so im forced to use it.

Originally posted by stealth
i like iChat more than messenger for a number of reasons. i use messenger though because most of my friends (using a pc) have msn!
Media player? Quicktime is wayyyy better. but again it might seem useful sometimes because some files that i donwload from the internet are only found in media player format, so im forced to use it.

you will always be forced to use Microsoft apps (exept for msn messenger, but then again, Proteus/Fire/... do not fully take advance of the MSN Service, f.e. they don't have filesharing)

I hope Apple will implement MSN Messenger Service in iChat! That would be great. But will microsoft allow this? No.
Then there's still .wmv. No way microsoft allows apple to put the .wmv-technology in QT!

It's important for apple to keep in buissiness with MicroSoft

Back