iOS 12 downloads w/auto update disabled

PBear

Registered
My wife has an iPhone 5s that has iOS 11.4.1(15G77) installed with the "update" setting disabled in Settings > iTunes & App Store. A few times now we have found our internet daily usage being used up by the iOS 12 update downloading even though she does not get a notice that there is a new iOS update pending and, most importantly, she has not pressed the download and install button for the update to start downloading. It somehow downloads automatically. Id there any setting in the iPhone that we missed to completely disable an update that automatically downloads?

Yes, Check under Settings>General>Software Update. Check that Automatic Updates is turned off.

Your phone will continue to bug you to update to the iOS. In Settings>iTunes & App turn off use Cellular Data.

Turning off Updates in iTunes & Apps is just for the apps you have installed, not the running iOS.
Do you have wifi available? You can log into your Wifi and then allow the phone to update. You won't be using your cell data then.

Your phone will continue to bug you to update to the iOS. In Settings>iTunes & App turn off use Cellular Data.
It is off.
Turning off Updates in iTunes & Apps is just for the apps you have installed, not the running iOS.
I thought it was for an iOS update too because I couldn't find another setting on the iPhone to disable auto updates.
Do you have wifi available? You can log into your Wifi and then allow the phone to update. You won't be using your cell data then.
Yes. That's where our problem is, our daily usage limit is only 475MB from our ISP. When I tried updating my phone using cell data, I got an error saying the update was too large for downloading using our cell data.

You're between a rock and a hard place. Many updates are larger than 475 MB. You may want to think about using your download limit from your ISP. Until then, you are stuck with stopping the download on the phone.

Back