Ip address through multiple routers??

ToyMakerii

Registered
Hey ok, I have a tivo in one room and some soft ware in another to connect to it on my mac. but no joy, here is the set up.

Internet
Airport #1
iMac (with software)
Airport #2 (ip address is 10.0.1.3)
Linksys Router
Tivo (ip address is 192.168.1.4)

I should tell my software that the ip address for my tivo is 192.168.1.4 but when I do I get no where. Is this the same problem that is keepiuung me from accessing my Linksys from my iMac whats going on?

It would have helped a bit if you had given the IPs for AirPort#1 as well as the iMac. But basically your problem is that you are using at least two LANs.

For the lowdown on IP-numbers see here: http://compnetworking.about.com/od/workingwithipaddresses/l/aa042400c.htm

You are using at least two ranges of private IP-numbers. Private IP-numbers in different classes are unable to see each other unless you set your routing table up in special ways. The easiest way for you to fix things would be if your whole network was using 10.x.x.x Class A network addresses.

Where the separation occurs in you case is difficult to say, as you are providing infsufficient information. Both your AirPorts and the Linksys is capable of working in two different modes: bridged or NAT routing. Additionally they have an external IP-address and a pool of IP-number from which computers can request an IP-address through the DHCP protocol.

Now, when they are working in bridged mode, the external IP-address and the IP-address pool are taken from the same Class of IP-addresses. When they are working in NAT mode the external IP-address and the IP-address pool are taken from different Classes of IP-addresses. Thus, you have isolated the computers on one side from those on the other.

I'll recommend you to set your system up the following way:

AirPort#1 seems to be the one connected to the internet in some way, but which way? If it get's a global IP-address on the external port set it up in NAT mode (this typically happens if you're connected through some kind of modem), otherwise in bridging mode with 10.x.x.x. In both cases use the 10.x.x.x Class A network addresses on the internal network.

The rest should be set up in bridging mode and use the 10.x.x.x Class A address space.

well airport #1 is connecting to the internet via ethernet. it got its ip via DHCP. Then I believe it assigned it self 10.0.1.1 as an IP. The ip address for my iMac is 10.0.1.4.

AirPort #2 is set up just as a bridge (extended range and an extra ethernet port in the living room for the linksys)

The linksys is set up as its own DHCP because when I turned it off none of the stuff connectyed to it could connect to the internet. and I couldnt figure out why.

Well the Linksys is a router. That means it's taking an active part in connecting the computers. So it needs power to do it's stuff.

Set the Linksys up as a bridge too, turn off DHCP and your problems ought to be solved.

Back