IP Address

ap_slater

Registered
Hi,
I have always used a router and the same provider with a dynamic IP address. All of a sudden, the router is not working and the support company has said that I need to input a static IP address into the network configuration in order to access the router address. I can connect directly to hte internet, but no longer through the router (see intial problem re downloading, which still is a problem, but seems to be alleviated when I login under a different name). Now I can no longer access the router and the router company (linksys) says it is not a router problem and the provider says it is not a provider problem, so now I need to see if I can input a static IP to access the router (192.168.1.5) and a gateway address192.168.1.5. Please help..
Thank you,
Abby

Are you asking how to input the static IP for your Mac? Go to the Network pane in System Preferences, select the connection for which you want to set the IP address, select the IP tab, and then provide the values for the fields indicated.

I've found that when I use static IP address, I need to enter not only the IP address and the gateway, but also the DNS server IP address. (When I use my router as a DHCP server to provide an IP address to my Mac, the Mac gets the DNS server address from the router automatically. Not so when I use a static IP address on the Mac). Your ISP should provide you prime and backup DNS server addresses.

Make sure that the static IP address you choose is in the subnet which your router is setup to talk to on the LAN side.

If it still doesn't work after doing this, let us know.

Back