IP from DHCP Server

Bainbridge

Registered
the facts:

I've got a cablemodem attached to a hub. on this hub are two computers 1 mac und 1 pc ....

I've checked already all cables and all other network hardware none are damaged.

the problem:
on the pc, I receive a dynamic IP address from the cablemodem. but on the mac I don't recive one. there I get an address like this 169.254. ..... I know it's the IP address from the own DDHCP server. I checked allteady all properties from the preferences menu concerning the network ....

network card is working. I've got a LAN with the mac and the pc. this is working.

what could be the problem? can I somehow reset the network properties?

thanks ....

Most likely, you only get one IP from your cable modem provider. They lock down the MAC address on the NIC on your PC, so that's the only box that can get an IP address. The 169.254 address is a link-local address. You don't get it from a DHCP server. So you can either:

1. Buy a broadband sharing router.
2. Lease another IP address from your provider if they offer the service.

In the offer from my provider are 4 computers on a LAN allowed to share the dynamic IP ....... I've got only 2 .....

Originally posted by Bainbridge
In the offer from my provider are 4 computers on a LAN allowed to share the dynamic IP ....... I've got only 2 .....

fddi1 was right. From what you say here, you only have one dynamic ip with your plan. Sure, you're 'allowed' to share it with up to 4 computers, but you need the hardware or software to do it.

So your options are:
1 buy a router
2 only use one computer at a time (this won't work unless you turn the other computer off - it'll hang onto the ip if it's on)
3 if you're using Jaguar you can try using the built in internet sharing option (go to 'system preferences', select 'sharing', select 'internet' pane, check 'share connection, click start - I couldn't get it to work though)
4 pay for another ip address

*edit for spelling*

Back