IP over Firewire

LordOphidian

Adjutant On-Line
Apple has just released a preview of some software that will allow you to do TCP/IP over Firewire.

Should make things easy for a quick and dirty NAT setup.

Been using it for a couple of hours now. Beats the hell out of AirPort speed-wise.

**NOTE: I and others had the Network prefs nuked after installing this. Take note of all your Network settings.

On a lighter note, this is the only problem I have encountered thus far.

This is very good news for FireWire. Will it help it to survive fast USB.

The TechTV comparison is quite intriguing. All the more reason to love FireWire and exploit its advantages over USB. Hopefully FireWire 2 is on the horizon.

Originally posted by LordOphidian
Apple has just released a preview of some software that will allow you to do TCP/IP over Firewire.

Not to be cynical but... what would this really be useful for? I mean, if you've got firewire you've got an ethernet port most likely, right?

Could it be a hint at an up and coming Apple device that will use this technology maybe?

Originally posted by jeb1138
Not to be cynical but... what would this really be useful for? I mean, if you've got firewire you've got an ethernet port most likely, right?

Could it be a hint at an up and coming Apple device that will use this technology maybe?

I will be using it for linking servers. Perfect for older Macs without gigabit ethernet :)

Originally posted by jeb1138

Not to be an ass but… sharing your Internet connection. ;) (you see the smilie, right Bobb?) While you may have an ethernet port, do you have an EXTRA one with which to share your connection?

Example:
My cubicle has only three Ethernet drops. Yet I have four computers: a PC, a G4 Server, my G4 Desktop and a TiBook. For awhile whenever I wanted to connect my Ti to the network I had to unplug one of my other machines. Not a very elegant solution. Then I got an AirPort card for my desktop so it could act as a Software Base Station. The connection was decent, but not nearly as fast as being able to share my connection over FireWire!

This is a very welcome technology for me. Even if everyone else can't appreciate it. ;)

cybergoober, why not just get a hub or switch? yeah it's more wires, but it is a connection. (i'm talking pre-firewire ip)

Our Network Operations Center won't allow it.

That and it would have had to come out of my pocket and I'm a cheap b*stard. ;)

hmm... seems strange, why won't they let you have a hub?

Do they have a limited amount of bandwidth?

I was looking for this like over a year ago. I am glad it has been released. Windows XP had it already but I could never fully test it. Heh, I could have avoided buying a switch and 10/100 card for the PC :-(

Originally posted by evildan
hmm... seems strange, why won't they let you have a hub?

I would say it could be many reaons, security, managability, performance, stability, etc. Most large corporations have very strict policies of no network equipment that isn't installed and managed by the network group. You could really much things up if you for instance plugged you hub in you cube up to multiple drops. Could even be worse if you stuck in a switch, that had spanning tree enabled, you could mess up the entire spanning tree setup for the corporation. Yeah, one hub doesn't seem like a big deal to you, but when you're dealing with networks with 100's of switches/routers with 1000's of hosts, any non-managed equipment can become a major issue. I personally use the tactic of beating the user over the head with the offending piece of equipment.

Brian

I just want to point out that IP over FireWire = Rendevous over firewire. FW2 = a mmuch longer cable distance.

This would dovetail nicely with Philips talking about rendevous-enabled receivers that would let you stream your MP3s from your mac. It would also dovetail nively with rendevous-enabled televisions that would let you stream images from your pictures folder.

Remember that FW is also going to be big with in the home entertainment arena. rendevous over firewire (or over firewireless) would allow disparate devices to use services from your computer.

pretty cool possibilities!

Firewireless.

That just gives me the chills, like watching the opening scene of lord of the rings for the first time. :p

If Windows XP has it too, does that mean that filesharing between a Mac and PC is possible over Firewire?

Sounds like Firewire 2 would be perfect for a total home networking solution (i.e. you don't even need ethernet if you have firewire on every computer). Long cable lengths, daisy-chainable, every device is a 'host', very fast, isochronous data transfer, (limited) power over cabling, and now TCP/IP. Cool. Now what kind of devices could Apple introduce to help start the revolution? Or should they just encourage Phillips, etc. to join in? Hmmm... Oh yeah, and when/if wireless firewire comes out...even better!

Originally posted by cybergoober
...Fairly large network (NASA Langley Research Center).

NASA Langley can't afford to install an extra ethernet port for a valued employee? Must be the tight-fisted efficiency of government work. ;) Oh well, at least some government research labs (*cough* http://www.sandia.gov *cough*) can still afford to install as many network ports as their employees desire. And of course, they're also fibre optic... :D

Back