IP printing using Tiger- need an Expert

Pilar1

Registered
I cannot IP print to a windows Print server with an HP Laser Jet 1012 attached. My hardware includes an iMac G4 running tiger on a linksys wireless network. The server, a Simple Share office NAS storage device with hard-drive and integrated print server is attached to the router. There's no problem accessing the files in the storage device with the Mac;
Windows XP machines on the network print and access files with no problem.
Using the Mac print browser - when choosing IP printing and entering the IP adress, the mac cannot see the actual printer ( which is supported with osx's generic postscript driver).
When choosing "Other printers" option and using windows network printing in the browser- i can see the HP printer however when attempting to print I get timeout or busy errors.
I've browsed several of the forums on this website and others and this seems to be a very common problem. Threads also indicate no-one offering solutions.
I've spent lots of time on this problem, does anybody have solutions to this problem?
thanks
Pilar

The Mac has an airport exteme card to the Linksys 54g router, the print server is connected to the router via Cat-5 cable, the printer is connected through usb to the print server.
The software was updated to 10.4.1

Your biggest problem is drivers. The HP-provided driver (which Apple was supposed to include in Tiger, but screwed up) Doesn't do network printing. This is because all of HP's non-postscript drivers bypass CUPS. So, the driver does only what it was written to do - USB.
The Gimp-Print drivers included in OS X are Apple's way of dealing with this - Gimp-Print drivers are fully CUPS-capable. Lots of HP printers aren't included in Gimp-Print. You need the hpijs and ESP ghostscript driver set:
http://www.linuxprinting.org/macosx/hpijs/

Then, if you plan to use IP>LPR or IP>IPP protocols, you'll need the print server's queue name. OS X doesn't auto-discover in IP printing like Windows does. Queue names are often found in the unix/linux setup section of the print server Docs. I have no experience with Simple Share.

PS - the Generic postscript driver is for postscript printers.

Thanks Gshali for the OS X primer! It was one of those rare instances where a Windows environment was not the problem, I think I've become complacent with OS X.

I have now gotten my Mac to connect with the printer, but the printout says "unsupported personality".
I think I need a driver for the HP 1012 that works over an ethernet connection.
Any suggestions?
BJF

Per my previous post the hp website says there hasn't been a new driver for your printer since 2003, so you probably won't find a driver to make the "unsupported" error message go away.

However, try creating a pdf and printing that to the hp and see if you still get the error. Maybe if you rip your files to pdf first you'll be able to print error-free.

Let us know how that goes.

gsahli:
Thanks for the link.
Do I have to download/install the ESP Ghostscript for Mac OS X if I am running Tiger?
Thanks.
BJF

gsahli:
Still not working.
I found the driver for the HP1012, but when I print I get the eror message: unsupported personality: PCL.
Any other suggestions?

Back