Ip Security With Http And Email?

davidka

Registered
thanks for your reply. I have another issue with security on the web ( i might just be paranoia). I hate to have my IP floating freely on the web just ready to get abused by anyone having questionnable intentions. The same for email, you just have to activate the "internet header" and there shows up my IP.

I know you can use proxies, but then, i don't always know who they are (you never know...). So is there any way to secure your IP from being visible on browsing or sending emails, other than an external proxy? What would be the best way to go?

Everytime you visit a web site or send an email, your IP address will be transmitted so the other side knows where to send information back to. There's not too much you can do about it.

The most practical option would be to use some kind of proxy server that you can trust (maybe your ISP has one).

I'd also recommend a firewall if your computer is plugged into the net for any length of time (especially broadband). If you're really worried about it, then get a broadband router that has a built in firewall. That way your computer isn't directly exposed to the net.

Even though your IP address is typically logged at every web server you visit, I wouldn't let that it bother you too much. It is certainly possible for some nasty guy to pick your IP address at random - hiding your IP address when browsing or emailing isn't going to prevent that.

Just make sure your computer isn't running Windows and you'll be fine ;)

If you're worried and have a broadband connection then get yourself an internet router. This is by far the easiest way to shield yourself from the outside world. You can pick one up for $40-$50 and they are easily configured. Once you get it, turn off all incoming ports at the router, this will pretty much assure you that no one will get to you normally (by this I mean that if someone emails you a trojan that can send traffic out, then you're still hosed, but no one can just connect to your machine out of the blue).

Get the router and it won't matter what OS you're running.

Back