iPhone 8 hour battery life

the question will probably be how you use it. if you watch a 30 minute video on the way to work or "read the paper" (i.e. download news from the 'net while listening to 'tunes), then make/take a couple of phone calls during the day, again 30 minutes on the way home... will it be empty by that time. i've long given up on the numbers the manufacturer gives on standby/call times. since the iPhone doubles as your iPod, it'll probably drain more quickly than an average phone.

Yep, I don't even think there's really any phone out there that gives 8 hours of 'continuous use' time and the iPhone needs to do so much more with the same amount of power, as you said.

A recent review of the BlackBerry Curve, however, says it _delivers_ 10 hours of talktime. They made a call and waited for it to pass out. 10 hours. That's a number. ;)
Since I'm used to charging my smartphones every night anyway, I'm not that worried about battery life. But recent comments I've heard about the on-screen keyboard ("most users will spend their time on the iPhone with point and click multimedia stuff") seem to second my worries. I guess if I can't use it for SMS and E-Mail the way I want to, its battery-life will be a non-problem completely, because I'd use a type-capable phone instead.

on a side note: the "iPhone Competitive Data" table at the bottom of the page originally listed the Nokia N95 as not having Wi-Fi. Cheeky buggers.

I think they're very impressive figures. Of course, experience tells us that the true figures will be lower, especially as the iPhone gets a few years under its belt, but even if they are capable of only half the talk-times that Apple is claiming, it is certainly better than what I would have expected. I had anticipated battery life to be a really big problem with such a small and over-geared device, but its not too bad.

Not only that, but the battery not being replaceable on the iphone to me is a HUGE problem.

Really!? I thought you could! I also think that that's a big problem, because imagine you're on a trip, there's no electricity where you are and the iPhone suddenly shuts off! If there's an emergency, what should you do? Or if you go on holiday and forget the charger? Nokia phones are no problems, since all use the same sort of charger so you can borrow one, same with Sony Ericsson and most phone companies. But how likely will it be that someone will have an iPhone exactly where you are, when you need it?

We should all get a second one for free when we buy an iPhone. One for using, the other as a spare when the battery runs out! :)

I'm sure Apple would love that!

But i don't think the cell phone/pda community is going to be as kind to this ipod philosophy of quality control with the iPhone, especially if the price point remains in the $500 range.

I am also not as interested in the iPhone due to the way it is permanently installed, just like iPods. As far as I can tell, the biggest problem with the iPod (and the reason people buy new iPods) is because the battery eventually loses its endurance.

I recently paid $95 ($50 for parts / $45 for labor) to get an iPod Mini battery replaced. I could have put that $95 towards a new iPod Nano, but I did the repair work out of principle. I would much rather have gone to a store and purchased a battery for my model off the shelf.

Back